Oil in the Air Filter Housing

Whilst removing the air filter and housing to get at my knackered alternator I noticed oil in the air filter housing and inside the pipe leading to the turbo. Also some in the breather that runs to the top of the engine.

So, should it be there? I guess not. Where is it likely to have come from and should I be concerned?

Reply to
Andy

We had this one just recently.

The key question is; how much oil? A thin film or a pool that can be poured out onto the ground? If it's just a thin film that turns your finger black then it's entirely normal it seems.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

A thin film in the turbo pipe but a little more in the air filter housing.

Reply to
Andy

Sounds pretty normal mate, my 300 has a few litres in it!

Reply to
Nige

Cool, I can relax again !!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Well, clean out the stuff in the air filter housing and check it in a month to see if it's returned in strength, but it sounds perfectly normal.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd agree with Nige (again! - must be a record) ;)

My Disco has a thin film in the pipes which puddles very slightly after about 3 monthes or so. No problem, just wipe out and ignore it. Mind, mine only started to do this after I changed the air filter (ages ago) to find the old one all curled up and not sealing at all properly. I thought at the time that I may have had water get in after a few deep off-road sessions, and it's never happened again, though I've since changed the air filter about five or so times. (Every few thou miles, ish)

Reply to
Paul - xxx