Oil question again

Is Castrol GTD Magnatec 10W-40, a part synthetic oil or a fully synthetic one.

I have been advised by my LR dealer to use a part syn 10W-40 oil to top up, as this is what would have put in during its routine service. The use Castrol, but were unable to say exactly which product they use.

Castrol website does not say.

Anyone in the know out there?

Reply to
Steve Cork

It would help to know what vehicle and engine you are talking about. JD

Reply to
JD

Reply to
Steve Cork

Castrol Magnatec is not synthetic at all, not that this is relevant to whether it is suitable for your vehicle.

The use

If they don't know what they actually use, why do you think they know what they 'should' use. They obviously don't know shit.

You should use any oil which meets BMW LL01 or exceeds this. Castrol Longlife oil qualifies but Magnatec is not good enough. Well it is good enough for limited topping up but not for initial fill. I would top up with the same standard of oil recommended for top-ups myself. All you have to do is look at oil cans in the shop and find one with the BMW specification printed, possibly in the small print. Just because a main dealer is a 'main dealer' does not make it competent to service your car unfortunately. By the way, all oils that meet BMWLL01 specification happen to be synthetic.

I could tell you a standard that exceeds the BMW specification but that would only confuse a situation which you already have some difficulty with.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Strange then that on a bottle of Castrol GTD Magnatec 10W-40 is says "Synthetic Engineering".

Perhaps Castrol don't know what they make, as well as LR Dealers not knowing "shit".

Reply to
Steve Cork

Not at all - just misleading marketing. It's everywhere.

Reply to
Dougal

The engineering might be synthetic for all I know but the product is mineral oil.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I omitted to mention that any oil meeting the European standard of ACEA B3 is equally suitable as it is roughly equivalent to the BMW spec. Be aware that it has to be B3 not , for instance, A3.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thanks for the last piece of information. So the Castrol GTD which you have been decrying is perhaps OK then. As it meets (or exceeds) ACEA B3.

Reply to
Steve Cork

Oh, well than it is OK. It is the specification that is all important, not whether an oil is synthetic or other bits of high profile irrelevance. If it meets BMWLL specification ideally but at least meets ACEA B3 and it is within a range of allowed viscosity then it will be OK whatever the Brand and other bumph.

Magnatec is still not synthetic ;-) Not that it matters.

Huw

Reply to
Huw