old EP90

I've just changed the oil in my axles, the old stuff had the colour and consistency of hot chocolate, what does that say about the age and condition of the oil?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

It's dead, Dave. It's all dead.

With apologies to Grant Naylor.

Reply to
QrizB

What everybody? You mean Jones?

Yes, Jones is dead, everybody is dead.

Hang on, are you trying to tell me everybody's dead?

Ace!!

Mark.

Reply to
mark solesbury

Mr.Nice. posted ...

It's old, it's not oil anymore ..

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Its about ready for serving up at your local Starbucks

Reply to
zoom

Writing on the screen with his chocolatey finger, Mr. Nice. became 'it' in "kick-me tag" with ...

That says "the old stuff had the colour and consistency of a Mid 80s faux-R&B-esque mime artists led by a gentleman who was subsequently found guilty of several indecent assaults" As to age and condition, I'd say that like Errol Brown (or whatever his name was) it's soiled, past its best, and requiring better lubrication (unless he's been paroled (or dead).....) :-)) Is this one of these machines that wades without extended axle breathers??? Oh, and that 60000 mile service - check that the last zero wasn't added in the manual with a biro.....

Reply to
weallhatebillgates

When old oil comes out of my gearbox it looks like guinness!. It even has a head on it! I dunno what goes on in there..

When i get brown oil out of axles and hubs i assume that it has mud and/or water in it. It says to me that its about time i changed the oil and checked all the breathers and gaskets/seals.

I drained the oil out of a car engine today. It has sat since about 4 years ago when the head gasket went and the previous owner parked it up. I took out the drain plug and got, in order

~2 litres of nice clean water ~2l of fairly normal dirty (black) engine oil a litre or so of think black engine oil a litre or so of hot chocolate looking stuff a litre or so of what looked like sewage (ive cleaned drains that looked like this).

From this i'm assuming that a bit of water, and some time is enough to turn oil brown.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Twas Sun, 23 May 2004 00:01:13 +0100 when weallhatebillgates put finger to keyboard producing:

I don't know anything about it's past history, but I do know that the oil in the gearbox and transfer box were the same. I also know that it's breather pipes are about 6 inches long and hang below the axles.. must sort that too.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Sat, 22 May 2004 20:33:28 +0100 when "Paul - xxx" put finger to keyboard producing:

did a 400 mile round-trip yesterday, with the new oil. and all was well, I'm glad I changed the oil first.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. posted ...

I bet the Landrover is too .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Mark,

sounds like it's had water in it. I had that once in one car that was driven along a flooded road.- it needed a diff rebuild afterward (I didn't drive the car very often, my wife did and didn't notice the diff screaming).

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts