Old landy acquired but NO V5

I've just dragged an old S2A SWB all original 1952ish apparently, but he no longer has the V% document. I sent off to DVLA, to try to register in my name but they have no records of this vehicle because it wasn't registered after a certain date.

They have sent back lots of gumpf, that basically says I have to get it certified to be original and authentic. How do I do this when its not yet on the road, I don't want to spend loads doing it up for them to turn round and say I cant register it. Can I do this with an old wreck and if so HOW?

Any Answers Gratefully received

Tony

Reply to
TL

If it's a SIIa it will be mid-sixties or later, if its a SII it will be 1958 or older - any earlier and its a SI.

This bits easy - get the chassis number and send it to the BHIMT at Gaydon and they will confirm the details for you.

Reply to
Exit

I did this 5 years ago with an old motorbike.I presume the fiollowing is still true: You need to find the proper age of the vehicle, usually by supplying the chassis number (and sometimes engine no.), to the vehicle dating service at Gaydon.See the other post, or do a search for their details.If the figures tally, they will send you a note saying when they think the vehicle was first built/registered.Someone from the Vehicle Inspectorate/DVLA inspected mine as well. The trouble will be finding the original chassis number.If the plate is still attached, then it will be easy, but if you have to look for the stamped numbers on the chassis, then you may never find it.

When you have the proof of age, you will be able to apply for an 'age related' plate.e.g, if it is a 1969 car the reg would be in the following format: MAY 111G If you have no prrof of age, you may be lucky and get an 'old' number, but you may not, and will be given a 'Q' plate. But before you apply,you have to get the vehicle MOT'd.Instead of putting the registration no. on the certificate, the tester will have to put the chassis number. Once you have the age proven,and the MOT, you then apply to the VI, along with a cheque for the car tax(though if it is over 25 years you shouldnt have to pay any tax) and any registration fee. Alan.

Reply to
A Lee