on board air

I previously had a VW Syncro to which I fitted an extra air conditioner compressor to give me high pressure air for tyres, air mattresses etc. This was run of a spare pulley on the engine as I did not have Power steering. I fitted a similar set-up on another Syncro by putting another pulley on the Power steering pump and running it from there. This worked like a dream, pumped up a 215SR15 tyre from 0 to 2 bar in about a minute.

I would like to fit similar setup on my disco. The only place to fit an extra pulley seems to be in front of the power steering pump as there is a bit of space between the PS pulley and the radiator. I still have to try and source/design a pulley to go here. The other problem is going to be to design a bracket to hold the extra compressor. I have not worked out mounting points on the engine yet.

Has anyone gone this route that can give us some advice.

Jimmy

PS. I don't like those vibrating things... and they are rather pricey

Reply to
Jimmy Sanby

I previously had a VW Syncro to which I fitted an extra air conditioner compressor to give me high pressure air for tyres, air mattresses etc. This was run of a spare pulley on the engine as I did not have Power steering. I fitted a similar set-up on another Syncro by putting another pulley on the Power steering pump and running it from there. This worked like a dream, pumped up a 215SR15 tyre from 0 to 2 bar in about a minute.

I would like to fit similar setup on my disco I V8 auto. The only place to fit an extra pulley seems to be in front of the power steering pump as there is a bit of space between the PS pulley and the radiator. I still have to try and source/design a pulley to go here. The other problem is going to be to design a bracket to hold the extra compressor. I have not worked out mounting points on the engine yet.

Has anyone gone this route that can give us some advice.

Jimmy

PS. I don't like those vibrating things... and they are rather pricey

Reply to
Jimmy Sanby

On or around Sat, 15 May 2004 06:50:24 +0200, "Jimmy Sanby" enlightened us thusly:

you should have a space where the aircon pump goes, if you don't have aircon...

If you do have aircon, you might have trouble finding room for another pump.

FWIW, google for "Truckair" - 12V electric compressor that got rave reviews a bit back, about twice the pumping capacity of typical halfords-esque ones, and rated for continuous running.

Reply to
Austin Shackles