OT-A little story about Amtech tools

I have a few air tools including an Amtech 1/2" impact wrench and very handy they are too ( I like my knuckles ungrazed ) . I had a problem with the Amtech when it stopped spinning traced down to the end -plate gasket on the body leaking air, now its not rocket science so I cut a new one out of gasket card and it worked . Came to use it 3 weeks ago and b*gg*r me its leaking again obviously not a good enough solution, so checked the website and found the email contact and dropped em a missive asking could I buy new gaskets ( always get a spare ) no reply so I phoned the numpty's this am from the office got a young feller and explained what I needed when he asked which company I gave him both barrels ( big company = more clout ) he asked me to hang on and put me through to somone senior who tried the run around they don't sell the tools online ,er only supply to retailers bother them , er theres only a 3 month guarantee ( does the OFT kow about that?) er, as they are cheap they don't keep spares er spares would cost more than the tool - paper gasket 30p ?? which has rather coloured my impression of that company and the possibilty that I may buy any products from them in the future. Derek ( role model to Victor Meldrew)

Reply to
Derek

I sympathise with your lot Derek. Had a similar problem last year with a Clarke jump start unit (3-in-one version with air compressor, jump starter and 12V power supply). I'd used it to power a cool box which was left in the tent (we were camping) knowing the battery would be flat when I returned. Sure enough it was but that shouldn't be a problem - recharge it from the cigarette lighter socket on the car. A few seconds after connecting it up there was a smell of burning and large quantities of smoke coming from the jump start unit - bugger!

Took the back off and found a small pcb inside which was toast. So bad I couldn't actually identify what the components were! Like you, I emailed Clarke to see about a spare - no answer. Called them; don't keep spares for that item - not economically viable as they never go wrong. Yeah, right!

A search of the Internet revealed these things are actually made in China (now there's a surprise) and sold to quite a few companies around the world. Eventually I got to speak to a really nice guy in the States. Yep, they can let me have a spare. How much? $1 ... sorry, did you say £1? Yep. Postage to the UK? £45! Just a minute, the part is £1 but you want £45 to mail it to me? That's correct, sir, comes by FedEx 48hr service. Ok, just stick it in a jiffy bag and send it air mail, how much is that? $45 ... it's the only export mail price on the computer system :-(

Anybody want a Clarke's jump start unit that won't charge?

Reply to
SteveG

Keep the batteries from it for the next one you buy, they're all the same anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Frankly I'm not surprised. I've only ever seen that brand in street markets, boot-fairs and ebay.

keep up the good work :)

Reply to
William Tasso

Odd that Steve I noticed some time ago that the Amtech impact is a dead ringer for the Clarke impact ( and a good few others) I think I can see a pattern don't you of course I could pop into Machine mart and bend an ear. Surely someone keeps spares I have Sip down for a visit next week who guess what sell the same meanwhile its back to paper cutting, btw vis a vis shipping from the US ( I know you can't in this instance unless you can talk to someone sensible) we are still using US Post office priority mail pouches the weight limit is 4lb and it costs $9 - $11 its as quick as using the Parcel Post from London Derek

Reply to
Derek

Might be able to help, email me, my spamtrap is simpler than yours!

Reply to
GbH

You have mail :-)

Reply to
SteveG

So have you ;-}

Reply to
GbH

On or around Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:01:37 GMT, "Derek" enlightened us thusly:

I've got one that's feeble, and I'm about to take it back to the place I bought it. I guess a 30-quid tool is as good as you expect, but this one won't even undo landy wheelnuts, which aren't excatly super-tight. claims to do 230 ft-lbs, but in reality manages about 70.

I reckon most of these cheap guns are the same one, badged differently. Will see what my supplier says...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

100 Quid.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

SteveG> I sympathise with your lot Derek. Had a similar problem SteveG> last year with a Clarke jump start unit (3-in-one version SteveG> with air compressor, jump starter and 12V power

I lost the mains charger for mine. Called Machine Mart. 2 quid-odd + postage, arrived in a week or so.

Sometimes the retailer is the best route for some of this stuff.

Reply to
AndyC the WB

The operative word there is "sometimes". If they don't hold spares though they're about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Reply to
SteveG

In my experience machine mart have always been pretty good for bits and pieces for the stuff they sell - and they guys in the shop always seem to know their stuff.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just for the hell of it I'll give them a call tomorrow and let you know what they say.

Reply to
SteveG

Yeah. I'm going to have to keep away from Machine Mart - recent purchases include an engine hoist and an engine stand - the former was 'interesting' to assemble with totally inaccessible space to try and get nuts on bolts for the casters - resulted in a slipped disc in mi back...

Reply to
Mother

Must be from the same factory as my one - I hadn't tracked my disc problems to that, but it happened about the same time as I did battle with those feckin' casters. I finished up putting in the bolts from inside the box section, then cutting them off flush with the nuts with my angle grinder. Next time (never I hope) I'll use rivnuts in the box section, or buy a preassembled one.

Reply to
EMB

Well they didn't just tell me to go forth ... but I'm still waiting for the call back :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Still waiting .....

Reply to
SteveG

the lazy buggers! I have a shop near me so i always just visit in person.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:14:02 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

mine from MM was completely assembled, but then it was the display model and I got some £ knocked off for that!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs