OT: Adjusting trailer wheel bearings (with AP Lockheed drums brakes)

Any trailer experts out there? Or anyone who can advise on how to ensure that that I tighten the crown nut on the wheel bearings of my trailer hubs correctly rather than excessively or insufficiently?

FWIW the brake drum supports a pair of roller bearings which seat on a tapered shaft. The whole lot is secured by a crown nut and split pin which tighten onto the tapered shaft.

I did tighten the crown nut until there was no detectable freeplay - hands rocking the drum at 6 and 12 o'clock - before fitting the split pin.

Is there any better way of doing this?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I used to work on the principle- tighten till the bearing drags then back off 1/4 turn (on Mini's) there is a similar bit of advice here

DerekW

Reply to
DerekW

That's the way that I've always done it. Tighten it up until it just binds, then back it off to the next slot in the castle nut.

Cheers

Peter (finally back in the UK after 4 weeks in Oz and the US)

Reply to
puffernutter

Perfect. My mistake was to go to the next slot round, rather than slackening.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage