OT (again, sorry) - USB memory stick for Windows NT

Long storey, but need to transfer some data off an NT box, and a USB memory stick would be easy, if only it worked.

Most do not mention NT as a supported OS. Am I wasting my time, or is it possible to get NT to recognise a USB memory stick.

Last "expert" at a supplier I asked the question to had not heard of Windows NT.........

David

Reply to
rads

Windows NT doesn't have native USB support.

Ian Rawlings

However,

There are some 'bodges' that ive heard will enable USB support on NT, but i have never tried it....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Add the drive as a second drive in a Win 2000/XP box would be far safer than trying to get USB running on NT - or boot the NT box from a Ubuntu disc and copy the data across to a shared drive.

Reply to
Sean

I've tried it and didnt get very far. i could occasionally get some brands of mem stick to work but only intermittantly. your easiest bet is to pull the drive out and back it up with another pc, or fit a network card in the nt box.

Reply to
Tom Woods

take the drive out, and fit it as a slave drive, in a computer with windows

2000 or Windows XP,

this way you can access the drive to get the files,

Reply to
banjo

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Jsut had a *very* brief look (I'm in a hurry to leave), here's what looked the most interesting

this:

and these two:

Disclaimer: I won't be held responsible if your computer goes berserk, dies, explodes, or tries to eat your hamster.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Yeah, but fitting iffy drivers that integrate with the OS on the machine *before* he's backed it up... Rather him than me ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

what about if it cooks the chicken :-)

Reply to
banjo

rads farted out

Can't say I've tried it as you wish but ...

I use a Peakhardware PEAK III USB 2 1G flash drive regularly. On the support / downloads page is a utility that allows you to format it with a secure petition and as a dos bootable drive. As I say, I haven't tried it with NT4, but it works with everything I have tried it with, which includes laptops and desktops from Win 3.1 to XP Pro. Might be worth a try.

Paul - xxx

Pet or lunch?

Reply to
Elder

Erm, sell it to Nando's ?

Geo (hmmmm.....peri-peri sauce.....)

Reply to
Geo

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

you could try a compact flash card, and a cf to ide reader, the CF card will appear to the system as a hard drive. copy the data to it, then transfer the data to the new pc using the CF to IDE convertor (ebay £5) or using a usb reader.

Reply to
Robin

Hi, if you are still having trouble getting your data off the drive - fill in the contact form on our site - mention this group and I'll get it done for the price of the return postage.

Sean

WindowsNT never supported USB so that's not an option sorry.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com