OT (as usual): Police do respond to reports of theft.

Chap who lives next to a policeman gets arrested by four coppers because he refuses to return a football from next door that smashed his greenhouse glass! He gets arrested for theft of the football. It's not clear if the ball belonged to his policeman neighbour though.

"They can't come out to burglaries, do you think they would've come out, four policeman to collect a ball?"

Very very silly indeed.

On the flipside, I bought a car from a chap who lived next to a policeman, the car hadn't had road tax for years and his neighbour had prodded him about it a few times but didn't get a riot van out to knick him. It's just a shame they don't get rid of the bad eggs.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Possibly, but on the other hand, driving a car is the most dangerous thing that most people do, it's so commonplace that it's easy to forget that just straying over the white line or taking a corner too fast can end up in you hitting a truck and getting minced (a.k.a. "died instantly"). Burglaries and graffiti spraying don't tend to result in death.

On yet another hand (the world is never simple) I was surprised to read recently that more people commit suicide than die in traffic accidents, so getting depressed is much more dangerous than driving. Perception of crime and low-level crime can certainly play a part in that, although depression can thrive even in an otherwise problem-free life.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Oh yes they do...... see your next paragraph!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The link is more tenuous, "don't tend to" doesn't mean "plays no part in under any circumstances".

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

H'mmm interesting. I think I may be deveopling tourettes ;-)

Heres a story which sounds far less bitter in it's origin, made me well up it did.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Sound slike a shaggy dog story to me.................

I'll get me coat!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

200cc Dirt Bike (Dirtbag)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

|| Heres a story which sounds far less bitter in it's origin, made me || well up it did. || ||

Or this -
The photo alone makes the dog an honorary member of afl.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Endal is a well known dog. My ex-IBM colleague and photographer has been with him and his owner, shooting photos of the dog filling the washing machine and helping at the cashpoint etc. He has appeared on TV many times.

Reply to
Danny

In article , Ian Rawlings writes

Some are great.

I gave a lift to one of ours once in our battered old Fiat Strada. I'd gone about 100 yards before I remembered the speedo was broken (again!). Yes he'd noticed, but he spent the trip making a study of the scenery going past the passenger window. Nothing was said at the end (nor needed to be).

Sadly, he's no longer with the force.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Did he go to "The Dark Side"? :)

In all seriousness tho, I do think that they suffer from a serious lack of funding and are under-resourced. I mean, they could only manage to scrape together 250 officers to raid a terraced house in London :-) :-)

No, really and truthfully - you couldn't pay me enough to do their job - my brother in law is in the Police, and although the area he is in can be quite exciting, he has to put up with a lot of shit from Joe Public.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

so do ... o shop assistants o bus drivers o nurses o etc.

is it all undeserved? hrmm - swings & round-a-bouts methinks. There's a little of: "as you sew, so shall you reap" in all this.

Reply to
William Tasso

I like the sentiment but it's few bad apples that cause the good ones to catch the flak as well. Personally if I get treated badly by a "customer facing representative" of an organisation it's that person who gets the flak from me and hopefully their boss if I escalate the complaint. The next "customer facing representative" from the same organisation starts with a clean slate not the one sullied by the previous experience. Sadly it appears a lot of people don't or can't mamage to do that. I also try to differentiate between the individual and the organisation they represent, this means avoiding the use of the word "you" when refering to the organisation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed! My wife is a midwife and the crap she has to put up with has to be heard to be believed - you would have thought that people would be nice to each other surrounding the birth of a child, but it just doesn't happen. The number of times she has to page security for an emergency is astonishing - it is quite frightening when she is very often the only midwife on duty on a night for an entire ward.

One midwife where my wife works had her arm broken by the partner of one of the women in there - you can't tell me that she did anything to deserve that! My mum decided to take a part-time job in a shop for a bit of extra cash - she packed it in after two weeks because she couldn't stand the customers being so rude to her, and there is no way on earth she would ever be rude to a customer, quite the opposite.

I'm not saying some people in public services are not rude - bus drivers are classic examples! but I do think that a lot of it comes from how you are treat by the public in the first place.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Equally it works the other way too - during my time on BR I got so sick of the public suddenly becomming experts on everything that, like most of the rest of us, I took to hiding when passengers were about. The usual sort of thing was : "We can't move the train because it has failed it's brake test, Sir", "Why not?" "Er, because the brakes don't work porperly", "Well, you moving it now" "Yes, to the sidings", "So, the brakes do work". "No, we've pulled the chord so we can move it". "So why can't we use it then", etc etc - you get the idea. This would be same person who would be first in the queue at court if something had gone wrong, no doubt.

The best of all though was at Exeter St. Davids station "Can you tell me what platform we need when we get to Glasgow to go to Kyle Of Lochalsh" (sp?). Needless to say, I've no idea, but suggested that the booking office could ring Glasgow if they were not too busy. The bloke went of ranting to his wife and kids about "the bl***y Railway" etc etc. That was the day I gave up caring.

Fortunately, LR owners are, apart from one to date, the nices bunch of people you could wish to meet.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Matthew Maddock uttered summat worrerz funny about:

And Computer Techies too, corrupt the lot of them.... god they can be the worst offenders. I mean "Your interface is down" who actually believes this crap. "Your Hard drive has failed" which roughly translates in to I've fuscked it up beyond recognition but I'm dammed if I'm taking the fall for it. "It's a server error, try again in a couple of hours", transltes to "my shift is nearly ended and it's too hard for me to think about, I'm on a good run on spider solitare and can't be arsed."

Techies should be fastened in stocks in the market place and publicly whipped.

I once had a IT failure at work which eventually turned out to be a simple case of having to reboot, but the systems providors sent no less than 6 Techies to my desk, all blaming each others systems, I mean it would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. There I was trying to deploy four officers to a real crime , you know Murder, Rape, Burglary when in one click of a mouse the dammed system purely due to the corruption of these Techies sends those offices to the report of a trivial matter where some geezer won't give a ball back. Next thing you know it's all over the landrover news group - no doubt further evidence if it were needed that the Techies are institutionally blaming ever other f***er to the point they actually beleive Windows is the future.

As for Bus drivers... well Alex?

;-)

My other reply sat open for at least 10 minutes before I realised life was far too short.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Don't take it personally Lee, people have been moaning about daft things that other people do since time began. Just because some people have a prod at the police doesn't mean it's aimed at you, after all you don't see mechanics in the group leaping up and down with indignation when someone posts a story about a mechanic doing something daft. Ditto doctors, lawyers, freelander drivers and just about any other subsection of society that occasionally gets some stick, most of whom we've had in this group at some point or other. I'm an IT contractor who does work for the government, I don't get pissy when people bitch about people like EDS because I know how bad they can be myself.

And as for techies, until you've heard a techie rant at a member of tech support staff, you won't know how to properly bitch at a techie ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian Rawlings uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No problem, just a little light entertainment whilst waiting for MOT time.

:-).

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Now *that* is something to take personally... Pesky MOT lot.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You should hear what we techies say about our customers, or lusers as we call them :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

I agree there are some bad apples in the police force that give them a bad name, but there are also some good ones. We were involved in a police chase the weekend before last invovling 4 police cars, a police helicopter and dog. The behaviour of the police was very professional, the police office with us kept us informed of what was happening, whilst managing other members of the public and co-ordinating the helicopter. He even moaned about the amount of time that it took for the polive dog to arrive. Due to lack of resouce it had to come some 16-18 miles, in reality it only took about 20 minutes, but that a long time when your waiting. The police even rang us the next day to update us and say thanks for our assistance.

With respect to other comments in this thread about rudeness to service providers, I always try to point out when I'm complaining that I'm not having a go at the person, but the organisation they work for and I try and repeat this as regular intervals. It appears to work (or is it that I'm 6' 1", 16 stone and persistent) as I normally get a positive result from my complaint and I like to think that I have been threating or rude to the other person.

regards

nemo2

Reply to
nemo2