OT - backup!

Bizarrely, I'm still struggling to find a Windows utility which will simply let me backup (a simple copy would do) a directory structure to CD-RW, including leaving the files intact (not putting them into some proprietary container) and spanning multiple discs.

I found a great utility called HandyBackup, but sadly it doesn't work on my particular system. Any suggestions, before I resort to writing a damn script?

David.

Reply to
David French

David,

Nero will do your basic requirement but:

I struggled with back up utilites for ages, but the conventional ones need the operating system loading before you can recover your system and this can take AGES and be a pain. Also they cannot back up files that the operating system has in use - such as the .pst file that holds all your email !

Now I use Norton Ghost which is really intended to clone disks when you replace a drive, but it has the beauty that although kicked off from within Windows it actually runs under PC-DOS, shutting all the Windows applications. It backs up to CD writer and produces self sufficient bootable CDs, so recovery is VERY fast and all you need is on the Cd (or CDs as it will span images over several).

Most CD writers are compatible with Ghost BUT NOT ALL - so check yours before spending cash !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Agreed, but Ghost does strange things with the 250Gb external firewire drive we use at work. It seems to install its own boot-time firewire driver which not only doesn't work but buggers up the XP driver as well.

Then again, sometimes it works perfectly.

It's brilliant on a LAN though - we do lots of machine-to-machine backups which are super quick and easy to restore.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:51:32 -0000, "David French" made me spill my meths by writing:

We use Norton Ghost for our work backups and system upgrades. A CD is posted out to each engineer and we boot from that.

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Until recently, I used a little known util, called "Burn to the Limit" to backup to CD, but now Nero 6 in the form I have (there seems to be more than one Nero 6) will do a very good backup to CD

Reply to
ParrotCam

Just an observation, but the three options, quite simply are:

  1. Ghost - as others have said
  2. Nero and a DVD writer - as others have said (Nero writing to CD-R is alright, but a bit tedious to restore).
  3. Given the price of hard drives, get a USB HDD caddy and mirror to another drive. I've been doing this for a while now and recently had to actually 'test' it (the proof of any backup strategy!)

All of my office backups are now done to a rotating set of 8 120GB drives which will prove far cheaper in the longer term than CDs or DVDs. Ghost is now an invaluable tool notwithstanding and I'd urge you to invest in it :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Nero 6 Ultra Edition includes utilities to back up to CD using either normal files, or into one large file if you want. It will also backup onto DVD as well if you have a DVD-R.

If you're looking at large amounts of data then you'd be better off investing in a PCI IDE Raid Controller. You can pick them up for around £25, simply connect two drives to each channel and mirror them. In the long run, it's probably cheaper than buying CDR media anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex