OT - Batteries

I'm wondering whether I actually need something like the Optima Yelloptops in Grumble - as they're only used for the ancillary equipment like fridge, interior lighting, water pump and stereo.

optimas are expensive (circa 150 odd quid) and only have a capacity of

55Ah. I've been trying to find something with at least twice that capacity, and also sealed, leak-proof and need very little venting (they go inside the truck, you see).

Found these:

Does anyone have any experience of them? They seem reasonably well priced - and free delivery (alright, included in the price, ex VAT).

Or suggest similar?

Reply to
Mother

TBR UK do the Odyssey PC1700 or PC2100 (depending on available space in the vehicle). They arent cheap (yellow top prices) however, they are dual purpose, have big CCA and also quite large Ah (cant remember from memory)...

I replaced my starter battery (bog standard Halfods jobby) and replaced with the PC1700 so that I could run fridge, stereo, laptops, tent lights etc etc.

I must say I was a bit sceptical at first about having just 1 battery but it works very well. I have had several bank holiday weekends away now (camping) and never got anywhere near not being able to start the Tdi.

A much cheaper solution than 2 bateries and proper split charge... That said, 2 batteries are a must if you venture away from civilisation!

Hope this helps. Jon

Reply to
Jon

My use is slightly more heavy duty - and I currently have three batteries, a red top for starting _only_, then two yellowtops to run ancilary stuff. The split charge relay is already en situ.

Reply to
Mother

Sounds like it's worth checking.

Super! The best ideas always start that way, like the 'unofficial' in October - a few drinks at Eastnor...

Reply to
Mother

Looks like these are sealed Lead Acid type batteries, which may or may not be acceptable. I personally like the GEL ones as I believe the internal construction of them allows them to be smaller for a given power rating. This is quite important in a Defender.

The GEL batteries are back to the price of the optimas. Size of the "GEL140" may also be a little restricting.

I would also be interested to hear in others experiences of them.

Reply to
Jon

On or around Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:07:32 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

not to mention a similar scenario resulting in David taking the 6x6 round that obstacle course...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:06:20 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

sounds like the TBR lot are worth a look. Although I reckon you've been unlucky with the yellow-top Optima, with a bit of luck, they'll replace it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:26:34 +0100, Austin Shackles scribbled the following nonsense:

and me somehow ending up hanging onto the gutter of Edward to prevent me toppling out! I still can't believe they forgot to put eggs in some of the baskets....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Hanging in thin air - must've been the fumes from the previous nights alcohol!

By the way, your .sig is bust - especially the bit wot ses...

mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT

Bet the missus won't like you havin a Fiancée ;-)

Reply to
Mother

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:42:37 +0100, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

mounted on chassis, waiting on a windscreen and MOT

and I have no steak left to take the bruising and swelling down from my black eyes.

Shuould be fixed now.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Wait till she finds out about the October do then.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

What Simon needs is a 101...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

And a large bottle of Witch Hazel.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:29:11 +0100, Tim Hobbs scribbled the following nonsense:

Expect a call tonight regarding such.....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 30/8/05 7:17 pm:

Bruce uses the following company for batteries. Had his power tool batteries reconditioned, and said it was like having new kit.

They are called Multicell and their website is

e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@multicell.co.uk Multicell International Limited Swannington Road Broughton Astley Leicester LE9 6TU, England Telephone: 01455 283 443 Fax: 01455 284 250

Nikki

Reply to
Nikki

Doesn't help at present, but a flipping useful link anyway (thinks Makita batteries) Ta much Nikki (and Bruce) :-)

Reply to
Mother

Nope you'd never fit it in that sig... never.

Besides Tim would then HAVE to fit a V8 in the series II (a man needs some sort of cheap thrills..... ok so it's not cheap).

Hey Tim... you need a V8 and Auto... 4.6 and ...... ok I'll stop now :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 3/9/05 1:06 am:

That's what he had done. Couldn't get over how much difference a reconditioned battery made on his cordless drills. Much cheaper than replacement batteries as well - most Makita, £20 max per battery.

Reply to
Nikki

urgh...

Reply to