OT - but i'm sure someone here will have an idea

Got a problem

Some complete sh*t broke into our stable yard last night - they cut the metal around the padlocks on the 30foot container we use as a storage shed.

Our biggest problem with the location is that "rural" doesn't get close - the nearest house is 1/2 mile away, and we have no power.

So, I was trying to think of something that I could do to at least alert when someone is poking around where they shouldn't be.

So, first thoughts, are a simple light beam jobby across the tops of the fences around the container - positioned over the fences where no-one would normally go. Easy enough, maplin do a kit.

But what I want to trigger is either a phone call or an sms - anyone know of a way to interface to a PAYG phone to send an SMS on demand?

Si

Reply to
Si K

There is probably an elegant hi-tech means of interfacing to a phone, but on mine, if you press the "green" button twice it redials the last number.

In a kind of Wilf Lunn or Heath Robinson manner, it might be possible to arrange the lightbeam thingy to trigger either a solenoid or a small electric motor with an eccentric, which would repeatedly press the call button on your phone, thus redialling a preset number.

If you set the phone to call either another mobile, or a landline with caller ID, you would know where the call was coming from.

Does it show I am a mechanical, not electrical engineer?

David

Reply to
rads

I like this idea - simple but effective

Si

Reply to
Si K

So it will need to be battery powered ? For how long between charges ?

Try this

Try snipped-for-privacy@galtech.co.uk for the price.

The current requirement is 45mA continuous, which will need a 12V battery around 40 amp/hour to last 1 month without charging, though you might get a little bit from a solar panel.]

You will need to put a little aerial somewhere too,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The power of a beam-break circuit is probably going to need bigger batteries still. How about a microphone that can listen to the noise of folks breaking in, and phone if it gets too loud ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

See

I use this and its a good system for the price. There are more expensive systems that do more.

Reply to
Nick Kay

Sorry to hear that. An immediate, cheap (semi)solution is a simple "CCTV in

24 hour use" sign.

If you were a potential perp, would you take the chance?

Reply to
Pete Foster

How are you going to power any security devices?. Solar panels and some leisure batteries might work well, or are there any better ways that you have thought of?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Batteries aren't problem, as we have a constant cycle of charing batteries for electric fences, so to draw a bit more from them isnt a probem.

The nature of the location, 1/2mile from civilisation but next to a road and the M25 is such that whatever I choose to implement has to be reasonably clever, hence thinking the light beam over the fences where no-one would normally go, then the trigger being light beam and door of container being opened.

Si

Reply to
Si K

Batteries aren't problem, as we have a constant cycle of charing batteries for electric fences, so to draw a bit more from them isnt a probem.

The nature of the location, 1/2mile from civilisation but next to a road and the M25 is such that whatever I choose to implement has to be reasonably clever, hence thinking the light beam over the fences where no-one would normally go, then the trigger being light beam and door of container being opened.

Si

Reply to
Si K

Light beams will pull a fair amount of current I thought , but I have just seen one right in your power budget, but don't know about price. takes 10mA for the transmitter and 47 for the receiver, so you are up to around 80ah for 1 month's storage - Leisure battery territory.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

So Si K was, like,

No-one's mentioned the pre-aimed, pre-loaded shotgun yet. It circumvents the need for a text/phone/audio alert altogether. And a police investigation, if you're as remote as you say and you hide the body well.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Brookman

How about a big sign in the store-room with a 12volt flourescent lamp lighting it up (a batter will last ages like that). Write on the sign something like "congratulations on forcing entry to my store-room, the police have been informed as have I, you'd better hope the police get here first".

just me thinking outside of the box as usual.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yeah, because being if the nearest house is 1/2mile away, the nearest copper will be about 4 hours away, and they're not going to do anything when you report it anyway.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

What immediately sprang to mind was car alarms.

There are various movement/ultrasonic car alarm systems that come with pagers, the alarm goes off - it pages you. It's all 12v so easy to wire up to an old car battery or something similar.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Easy alternative: bear traps.

Reply to
Torak

Scary - this was exactly the setup I had in Grumble and worked a treat with an old Ericsson T888 or somesuch. Now replaced, by the way, as the phone died.

Reply to
Mother

I have an SH888 complete with battery in the back of the 101 should you have use for it. The power connector appears identical to the one on my P910, so I may charge it up and see if it works. An much abused and totally reliable device.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

So Alex was, like

I live in a similar rural situation - nearest house ½ mile, cops about 5 miles - but how long would it take them to turn out?. Sadly, you're right. I have a shotgun and plenty of cartridges, but I have resisted leaving it under the bed for all kinds of reasons. (Burglars - it's in a secure gun safe.) I am thinking of asking Santa for a baseball bat, however.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman vaguely muttered something like ...

I used to play Ice Hockey ... ;) The sticks are pretty spectacular when wielded in front of someone intent on no good. tends to make them change their minds .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx