OT, but tough enough for the Land Rover Nation

If you or your parents recall the "golden age" of British stock-car racing, I have a nostalgia website with some 300 photos and stories of the outrageous cars and legendary characters that raced them between

1955 and 1975.

The smell and sound of a rackety out-of-tune V-8 on the overrun, and the solid thump of a car hitting the steel girder posts --- aahh the good old days. Today they have sponsors and polish. Back then it was sledgehammers, skinned knuckles, in-your-face "race hard or go home", yet the bloke who stuffed you in the fence would lend you his tools and time and trailer if necessary.

"The Yanks" from bases like Chelveston and Alconbury provided a valuable injection of nearly-new V-8 motors, and also provided one English champion and garage-owner with the blueprints for a Kentucky "moonshine still", which functioned well on British soil --- I won't even reveal which county this was in!

I always welcome old photos and tall tales from those tracks and those days. Oddly, I never once spotted a Land Rover body on a stock-car --- surely someone tried --- though quite a few Rolls-Royce bonnets and grilles made their battered appearance.

Cheers, DK, now in Canada

brafield