[OT] Creating a duff email address for Google Groups

Way OT I know but . . . .

I used to access this and other NG via my Thunderbird Newsreader for which I had a spam-proof email address.

How do I create one for use with Google Groups, please?

Ta

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but if it were "how to generate a valid single use e-mail address that I'll never read again", mailinator.com might be the answer.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

just use a hotmail address or something that you never intend to use for email and sign into google with that.

Reply to
Tom Woods

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

Thanks Alan

When I subscribed to the Newsgroups from Thunderbird my email address was snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com and thus spam-proof. Because Google authenticates the email address used when subscribing to Newsgroups I couldn't use that address.

As you can see, I have created a working but spurious address.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Why have you made the move to google groups? It's an awful interface for reading news - using Thunderbird with one of the free or cheap news servers would probably be better.

Reply to
EMB

Hi EMB

I was having problems connecting to the Nildram newserver with Thunderbird - 'failure to connect' messages every time, despite verifying the settings with my ISP. And couldn't be bothered to look any further than Google Groups. What (better) method/route would you suggest?

Cheers

Richard

PS Just re-created the Newsgroup settings in Thunderbird and all seems well - for the moment.

Richard Savage

news.individual.net is fast reliable and has excellent spam filtering, Only see maybe half a dozen spam messages/week in the newsgroups I frequent, should I ever wander into google groups the signal to noise ratio is awful in some of those groups. Not free but very good value at

10 Euro/year.

Ah I was going to say have you checked the settings in Thunderbird. By checked I mean re-entered them and clicked save/OK. In my experience it's not unknown for winedows to show the user one set of settings but to be actuallt using a different set. Only by changing, saving, changing back and saving again can you get things to work properly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice