OT: Deleting private users files WINXP

Quick Q for you tech guys

How do I delete files from an old deleted user on WINXP? The user's directory is present under \Documents and Settings but any attempt to delete or even see what is in the folders gives "Access Denied", even when logged in as Administrator

Be helpfull as the disk is nearly full and I can only access 25Gig out of 60

TIA

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Control panel>user accounts >pick an account to change >delete the account>delete files

one to beam up Scotty Derek

Reply to
Derek

Depends,

If it is windows XP Pro, you need to do the following

  1. log on as administrator
  2. open my computer, click on tools->folder options->view, and then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list and ensure that "use simple file sharing" is disabled (un-ticked)and apply and exit.
3.Next, browse to the old users folder in documents and settings, right click it, click on the security tab, and then click on the advanced button at the bottom.
  1. Click on the owner tab, highlight administrators, tick the box that says "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and then choose apply. This will then take a while replacing permissions on all the objects in that folder.
  2. once complete, close the windows, and then re-open it (right click folder, click security tab), and check that Administrators is listed in the top box, and when you highlight Administrators, they should show "full control" in the bottom box. If not, add Administrators, tick "full control" click Advanced, tick the box that says "replace permissions on child objects", and then click apply. Wait for it to complete, and then close the windows.

Once this is done, you can close the window, and you should then be able to delete the folder, or view the contents if you want.

If however you have XP Home edition, you need to first boot your system into "safe mode" (press F8 at startup), and then follow the steps listed above.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Many thanks Robert, solved the problem. I was not cognicescent of the "Simple file sharing" option in WinXP which was preventing me from setting the Access Control options. Win2K doesn't have this nice option which makes it impossible to do things......

Alex

Reply to
Alex