OT - ebay problems - claiming money back?

I bought a mig welder off ebay which the couriers (TNT) managed to destroy.

Unfortunately i signed for it as the box looked okay from the outside and it wasnt obvious how many times they had dropped it until i opened and unpacked it. Since the chassis is well bent and it is full of assorted rattly bits of what used to be its internals im fairly convinced it is buggered - and im not going to risk it!. Ive since been out and bought myself a brand new one since i needed to finish the job!

The seller has been good about it and says he is going through the claim process with TNT (he has a business account with them) - but since its not him that is out of pocket i dont think he is rushing them or anything. Its been about 2 weeks now.

Is there anything i can do such as claiming it back through paypal or my credit card? (i paid through paypal which came straight off my credit card) Its not as though i didnt recieve it so none of the standard ebay faqs seem to apply. I'd obviously post the remains back to the guy i bought it off if this was successfull - and probably tell him what i was going to do first (it may speed up getting the insurance claim done!)

has anybody had any experience of stuff like this?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I can't say much about the PayPal/eBay side of things - except that your tale is exactly why I won't use them (no accountability), never mind the latest price hike (no, they didn't announce it did they!) - but on the courier front it does take time , with reason. Whatever you do, make sure someone has the packaging so there's no "it wasn't packed right" excuse - that puts the ball firmly in the couriers court.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Insurance claims through couriers are SLOW in the extreme - I've had to do several for my customers, I usually refund the customers money straight away and chase the courier myself as (I'm not kidding) it can take several months to get your money back from them. But then I run it as a business, I guess a private seller isn't quite so interested in keeping customers happy. Unfortunately, as I've found out to my cost, if you have signed for it without noting that it wasn't checked on delivery, you don't stand much chance of getting a refund from the courier unless they are feeling generous.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

They also don't exactly broadcast the fact that if you receive several thousand a month you can qualify for lower rates. I wonder how many businesses are still paying top wack when they could reduce the percentage by quite a bit, just by filling in one 10-second form.

Richard - I'll get onto ordering the headlights tomorrow, will probably get them delivered to a UK address to save money on courier costs as I have to come over to the UK to get the Disco anyway!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Next time i get any delivery from TNT I am going to stop and unpack it and make the driver wait 5 minutes while i check it before signing for it! I cant believe that this is what they courier companies expect you to do! They wouldnt be able to get half as many deliveries done per day if everybody checked them like they recommend..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Best thing to do is to write "Unchecked" on the delivery manifest by your signature, that usually covers you if you need to claim. With little surprise, most couriers aren't exactly clear in pointing out that you are actually signing that the item has arrived in "good condition" and not that you have received it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

The driver will tell you that you can just sign it as unchecked, which apparently covers you under the insurance scheme, as otherwise deliveries of things that are complex to check, e.g. computers (which would need to be cabled up, monitor/keyboard etc attached), would take forever.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

According to my credit card company i can pursue a claim through them (for the 80% of the purchase price that came of my credit card anyway not direct from my paypal account), but i have to send the item back first..

Which would leave me both out of pocket and with nothing to show for it (not even a broken item which could possibly be fixed).

Should i do this or continue to wait for TNT to process the claim with the seller?

If i do a credit card claimback will paypal pass it on to the sellers account too? - so he will loose the cash from his account/credit card?

Reply to
Tom Woods

In article , Matthew Maddock writes

"Received but not inspected"

is, I believe, the officially accepted term.

But your point remains entirely valid.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to