OT for UKRM. Back from touring (caravan) in Northern France ..

First up, cross-posted 'cos I got good info from people I 'know' and would like to say thanks to.

Had a great time. Over 1800 miles on the Disco with nothing even looking or feeling like it was going to go wrong. ;)

Arromanches, a 'must see' if you're anywhere in the area. Beautiful little town, lots of WW2 History and nice eateries. Great municipal camping site, good facilities, cheap and most importantly, clean! ;)

If you go anywhere near there, also go to Bayeux and see the Tapestry. Awesome. Some good bars and a really nice cafe just outside the Musee de Tapisserie. Well worth a day out if you like strolling round quaint, stylish, old towns. Lots to see and 'do', if you look.

Piriac - Sur - Mer, site was good, Parc de Guibel, in the trees with lots to do for the kids.. Most excellent little place, interesting layout, quaint harbour, good food, good weather, great area for a 'kids' beach holiday.

Dol de Bretagne. Lots to do in the area, but we stayed on a Castells site, Domaine des ormes and whilst it was clean it was also huge with lots of 'stuff' to do. Kids loved it, we tolerated it. Good golf course, good horse riding, and a 'different' area to visit.

Jumieges, lovely. great site, very localised area in a loop of a the Seine, with free 'bacs d'autos' to ferrry across in about three or four places. Pont de Brotonne is closest bridge, depending which way you approach.

So, thanks to all for the places to see or 'do'. The Normandy area particularly is one we want to go back to as we didn't really spend a lot of time there.

Good bits, cheap Tunnel Crossing, Bayeux, Arromanches and Piriac.

Bad bits, P&O ferry back from Zeebrugge to Hull ... the cynic in me says whilst it was cheap and comfortable, almost _everything_ about it was in maximising profit rather than being a real benefit to customers.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Arromanches is just one part of the d-day beaches which cover 50 miles of coast. If You didn't visit Ste Mere Eglise, Utah beach, Point du Hoc, Omaha beach and cemetery, you missed a lot of must sees.

You seem to have missed Mont St Michel aswell. The eighth wonder of the world. A three storey monastery perched on a rock in the middle of a bay. Jumiege is now 2 miles from the river Seine. It used to be a port.

You'll have to come back again soon.

cpmac

cpmac

We did Utah, Gold and a few others, but Arromanches just struck us as being an almost perfect place to stay.

We went there last time we were in France, on the way from St Malo to St Tropez ... ;)

Explains a lot.

We're looking at next year already ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx (Mobile)