OT-Gatso

Not a big fan of the yellow moneyboxes myself but it seems others even less so.

Derek

That's the approach taken in Shepton Mallett near me apparently (I've not seen the cameras), however the police have rigged up covert security cameras aimed at the speed camera. A 50MPH limit sign is much thicker than usual and has a small lens in the back, and some other poles have appeared nearby, don't know what's on the top as I've not looked myself.

The locals aren't happy, it seems that people out here can see past the usual chant of "if you've got nothing to hide", and have realised that the cameras are on all the time, and that whoever mans the cameras (and it probably won't be the police) are human too. Too many stories of CCTV operators using their equipment to play peeping tom perhaps? Or people just getting fed up with the police and government creeping further and further into our homes?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Derek" wrote

There is a new money making scheme in Southall. Paint a box junction on a crossroads and put a bus stop just after it with a camera on the lamppost to catch anyone following the bus.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I wonder who's going to be first to zap the surveillance camera?

Reply to
Rich

That's not fair.

People have to put pedal to metal toget out of the black hole that is Shepton Mallet, otherwise you get sucked in and become anti-matter.

Reply to
tiscali

Well, I go to a woodworking night school course there so don't know much about the place, but it does have one of the few fish and chip shops that makes something that's actually edible! Quite nice in fact, as fish and chips goes.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:12:40 -0000, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

wonder if an EMP device would fry both at once. deployed from a series, of course, which has no on-board electronics to get fried.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Opposite the Bell pub?

Reply to
tiscali

Can't remember what's opposite, it's on the main road through, just by a set of traffic lights, on the left as you head north towards Bristol. It's called Witstones or sommat like that.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The Bath-Glastonbury road is a joke (same council?) - you cannot tell what speed you are supposed to be doing as it changes so often, and the limit usually bears no relation to the actual road conditions. Everyone just gets confused and angry and it's made a pleasant run into a total nightmare. Whoever planned it obviously assumes only locals use the road - someone from out of area, or god forbid overseas, has no chance of being able to drive within the limit unless they just assume 30mph all the way. It's all (very occasionally)

60mph, 50mph, 40mph, 30mph, 40, 50, 40, 30, 40 ,50, 40, 30, 40 - within a couple of miles. It just gets speed limits a deservedly bad name, and probably added 20 or 30% to my fuel bill with all the unnecessary slowing, often for 200 yds for a single house alongside the road! This was probably done my the same consultancy who did the Minehead to Taunton(ish) road - 2 million quid for the study, then awarded themselves the contract to implement it (about 15 million or so) and then, as the thing was so unworkable and caused so much anger and confusion it was all ripped out (and most people got their fines back I'm told!). One can only assume the council who allowed it all were either incompetent, or, well, draw your own conclusions...... When I say allowed, I mean just that, as it is impossible to describe the project as being managed, or even overseen, by the council concerned (and it was the council, not the highways bods).

Richard

Reply to
beamends

Oh yeah I know the one you mean, can't remember the name though it's at the lights just before the babycham factory. Nowhere near the "town centre".

Reply to
tiscali

It makes me feel much better to realise that's a global phenomenon.

Reply to
EMB

Having been peripherally involved with road signage, we built a VMS car park system for Preston a few years back, I can assure you the system is entirely bent as far as I can see. We were sub-contractors for a big UK streetlighting company, who were utterly incompetent, but had ISO9000 on their letterhead...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

ISO9000 only shows that they know how to shuffle paper and keep records. It says nothing about their ability at actually doing their job.

Reply to
EMB

Even more here:

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Amen to that. You wouldn't believe what these wankers were doing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yes. If you write a Quality Manual that says you don't test anything and disregard all reports of faults and you can document that this is actually how you do things that is ISO9000. All 9000 says is that your Quality Manual (copy on request) can be trusted. Naturally if you are dealing with somebody like the DRA they request the QM and read it but most people don't.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

I didn't even know there was a town! I'll have a look sometime, all I've ever done there is drive through on the way to somewhere else, stop for chips, or go to the training college. It can't be all bad, one of the the Wurzels incarnations have mentioned the place specifically.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I 've thought of that but wouldn't 'faradays cage' apply as the casing is metal and earthed to boot though fun to try - not that I would ever advocate that action or encourage others to do so

Derek

Oh I would - many times when contracting we'd have to be told where the paperwork was so we'd know what to say to the inspectors, er, sorry, consultants. I've never yet seen documentation that would actually be usable, or, in most cases, be intelligable. ISO9000 - and the spin-offs, 9001 etc, mean absolutely nothing and waste vast resources (I'll bet every Chinese factory has ISO9000 - not) driving costs up for no benefit.

Richard

Reply to
beamends