OT: GPS Mounts on display

Just thought it worthy of mention but recently we've seen a monumental trend in motors being screwed which have GPS mouunts on display.

Those mounts having been taken even though the gps was removed as well.I've tucked mine away as a result (yes I admit I was bone enough to leave it there).

Just though worthy of passing on given many on the group will have them.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

FFS, they will nick owt these days, you can see why they would screw the cars with the mounts to see if they are in the glove box etc. But to nick the mounts worth about a tenner??? Loonies!

My mates, who's an inspector at Bradford central told me something similar.

Reminds me of a very funny day of my youth. I was working for Appleyards Rover garage (BL - 1984) in my first year of work as a apprentice motor mechanic. We used to gte sent out in the 109 with trailler to pick up breakdowns (by f*ck, there was a lot back then!!) We got to Keighley to rescue a stolen recovered Jaguar. As we turned the corner we could see the back end of a virtually brand new XJ6 in a rather fetching Lilac colour (no, not kidding) but it looked a bit odd. It was then i noticed the front of the car was missing, literally cut off the car with grinders & gas axes. They had chopped the front off the car (I still presume for the 5.2 engine as it was new) in the middle of the street, ok it was a quiet street etc. You should have seen the owners face when he came to look at it.

Thats where i got my love of Landies from, we used to go out all over the north of England in all weather in a 109 that would NEVER start first time, stank like a mouldy fishpond that a dog had pissed in & was colder than a stare from the ice maiden. I thought to myself, what better car to fall in love with. Although, it was a very close second to the first car I ever drove, a Rover SD1 Vittesse Police spec car (we used to service them)

Those where the days, as the biggest dealership for miles we got the Rally cars oin to use the facilities for the RAC rally etc. I sat in many a 6R4 & tony Ponds Rover etc! Not bad for

16/17 year old!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Rover garage (BL - 1984)

Appleyards? Bought my cavalier off them! 1987

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Not on Canal Road matey, it was a proper BL dealer! This was 1984! My first job was to service a feckin'

Hang on, the Volvo garage that is there now was a Vauxhall dealer, just under the bridge on Canal Road, don't think it was called Appleyards though?

Those were the days..............

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

first job was to service a feckin'

under the bridge on Canal Road,

No, Appleyard Contracts, they did leasing for company cars. Leeds I think. I bought my old company car off them when I got a new one. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

...and TonyB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Appleyards in Leeds? Regent Street? Nearly bought a Mini Metro off them in

  1. Their salesmen were trained in a new technique which was so aggressive I walked away and bought a Renault over the road out of spite. It was called the Pendle Technique or something. Anyone heard of it? Funny, cos I work in Sales now and no-one I work with has ever heard of it. Nasty stuff, involving lies and keeping you locked in rooms with your car keys in the salesman's pocket.

That's my memory of Appleyards. Ah, the days of British Leyland!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Had a Jag from Canal Road a few years back...

Nige - want to organise a 'satisfied customers reunion'? :)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Ha ha. Rings a bell. My company gave me a limit up to which I could buy my company car. Walked into the BL dealers in Chatham and wandered around for a good half hour looking at the cars. No salesman in sight. I went out and found a fitter who said the salesman was at lunch but he would be back soon. Ten minutes later, in walks scruffy salesman. "What djer want? " he growled, sitting down with his newspaper. On being told I was interested in buying a Maestro he asked me to come back the next day when he would have more time!

I bought a Mazda.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

hreheheheh - the real funny bit is my mate & next door neigbour was probably the sales manager when you bought it!!!!!

His name is Mark, he's a skinny tall lad!

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

the sales manager when you

Maybe, but the bloke I dealt with was Tim summat or other and I think he was Sales Manager. Bumped into him again at Audi Wakefield, where he had come in as Dealer Principle (whatever one of those is).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I (so far) always leave the mount in-place and the gps itself has a place in my camera bag which goes everywhere with me, or in a jacket pocket.

I'll now consider removing the mount also when leaving the car in 'certain' areas.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

ITYM Dealer Principal :)

Boss

Reply to