OT: Gritters

I had a thought this morning whilst driving to work (I have to think, my radio doesn't work!)...the Highways Agency has 400 gritters out, as do most of the councils (Coventry gritters are rather shy!)...what do the drivers do the rest of the year? Are they employed as gritter drivers and only work when its cold, or are they road sweepers/binmen looking for a bit of overtime?

I really must get my radio fixed.....

-- Thanks, Paul

1992 RR Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

I had a thought this morning whilst driving to work (I have to think, my radio doesn't work!)...the Highways Agency has 400 gritters out, as do most of the councils (Coventry gritters are rather shy!)...what do the gritter drivers do the rest of the year? Are they employed as gritter drivers and only work when its cold, or are they road sweepers/ binmen looking for a bit of overtime?

I really must get my radio fixed.....

-- Thanks, Paul

1992 RR Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

No evidence of gritters in this part of Coventry or buses either, nor trains from what I hear.

Reply to
Larry

Correction I have just seen a bus

Reply to
Larry

Up here the gritter drivers are also the road maintenance men. So most of the year they are doing the minor patch repairs, gully and ditch clearance etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

i know a guy who grits in the winter. The rest of the time he does other maintenance type things for the council housing association - mainly emptying council houses and garage when people move out in his case.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They do all sorts of everyday jobs within the local council, all they do is go on a rota and if during bad weather they are required they are called upon.

Reply to
Chris Roe

In news:vOidnbcwr snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Chris Roe wibbled :

I've always wondered who gets the short straw and has to go plow out the gritter and plow drivers?

Reply to
GbH

For the odd few days that getting to the depot is likely to be a problem they stay at the depot. I think all out drivers live within walking distance but the rock salt if kept 20 miles away over pass that goes up to 1900' and a stretch of road that they aren't allowed to plough/salt once it's dark...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice