OT. I don't believe it

I just started to read the Ng tonight and heard a car backing up much too fast and too long then crash, looked out and some young man in a Corsa has smashed into a friend/neighbours trailer destroying one wing and damaging his own car including deflating a tyre. It was the last parked vehicle before the main road, thank goodness nobody turned the corner off the main road when he was backing up. Took some photos much to his dismay, friend works nights.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Sounds like a right ejjeit.

Whats his story?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Learned to drive on a Playstation :)

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

If he's got any nous, he'll point out that the trailer was (probably) parked without lights, and therefore illegally. But he probably hasn't, so that's all right.

Reply to
Autolycus

His insurance company might tho - they'll use anything to get out of paying.

Is it really illegal to park a trailer without lights? My car is always parked without lights, but that doesn't make it illegally parked! My trailer has the same level of night-time protection as the car - reflectors - in fact, the trailer has a good deal more of them than the car, which only has them on the rear.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:smcDh.21$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

Yup.

224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are

a.. at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow b.. in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights. Law RVLR reg 24

My car is always

Stop being so logical. This is law, not logic :-(

Reply to
Autolycus

Oh yeah, everyone follows that rule don't they?!!

Well, I never knew that! Not that it makes much different as I wouldn't leave it on the road anyway in case someone took a fancy to it. I wonder if the same applies if the trailer is "hooked up" and left over night?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news:5ThDh.176$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

That's my understanding: hooked up or not, it's still a trailer, so it needs lights at night.

When I used to hire out my trailer, I always made this clear to hirers - partly as a "help the hirer" gesture, but mainly to ensure I'd have them by the wotsits if my trailer got hit by a twoddle-head backing a Corsa too far and too fast.

Reply to
Autolycus

"Lee_D" wrote after

Well in the light of day it was a Clio not a Corsa and as my friend had a large strong wheel clamp on that side this 17 year old has ripped every panel down the side of his car as well as doing damage to both bumpers, badly damaging and deflating both wheels/tyres on that side which is why he couldn't move it afterwards. After my photo session he did at least leave his name and address and explained he was just backing up! Yeh! right, and how fast to do that much damage? It's not as if it's impossible to do a 3 point turn in this street, UPS van drivers manage it. Anyway, he called at friends today with his Mum, she says he likes to drive fast just like his brother and her, and offered to pay for the damage to the trailer. Wait till she sees how much it will cost because the idiot has bent one of the axles on the trailer as well as destroying the mudguard and two side panels. I reckon his car may well be a write-off too. I just am so thankful it wasn't a person he hit. (or my 90)

Reply to
Bob Hobden