OT:I'll be damned.

So, there's one big difference between VW and LR - you got agreement on rejection and a full refund in a couple of hours. LR would have ignored you for six months and then tried to worm out of any sort of refund ... "they all do that sir!"

Reply to
SteveG

Where upon I would have drove it to the place & left it there!

Reply to
/\/ / & E

VW customer service were equally swift in sorting out a complaint I took up on behalf of my sister when the dealer charged her for new disks and pads on a 3000 mile old car.

That could be why they have a good reputation despite lots of known reliablity issues, where LR have such an awful one.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You mentioned Japanese earlier...Nissan X-Trail? The wife has had an Almera for nearly 3 years, it's never ever let us down (he says, tocuhing every piece of wood he can see), and their servicing and customer service has been excellent (although we haven't had to use them much)..

Reply to
Pacman

We have had seven of the things & never had one problem. Apart from a coil pack blowing on the Audi A4 convertible.

Unreal.

Reply to
/\/ / & E

I challenge anyone to break a Nissan. I thrashed mine over 80,000 miles and all it ever said was "come on, gimme more"....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

They bough the isuzu trooper too!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:49:24 GMT, SteveG enlightened us thusly:

not that long ago - and Honda have had a name for reliable engineering for quite a long time.

It's been said (I know not if it be true) that there's never been a failure of the Vtec system on Honda's engines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:44:39 +0100, Moving Vision enlightened us thusly:

well, FWIW - the LDV convoy I'm running is standing up to the hammering I give it so far. Transit engine and box, which are about the best bits of the tranny anyway. Personally, I prefer the old 2.5 engine to the newfangled 2.4 which is all electronic.

The SWB convoy is a nice size, too. There are twin-wheel SWBs, such as my bus, or single-wheel. The LWB has about 2' more length, I think, maybe a tad more.

Also in favour of the convoy are ultra-simple single-leaf suspension with a minimum of linkages etc., bloody great solid spring bushes and shackles. In fact the whole van is simple and straightforward, and seems reasonably solid. the trays under the dash look a bit feeble and may need work to stop them shaking apart, but the rest of it is staying put pretty well with about

10 miles per day of rough unmade road. 'twill be 15 miles, this year...

as a second-hand buy, I'd rate it: you can get a much newer, lower-mileage one for yer bucks than you can a transit or merc, 'cos they're not popular - but the engine and box is the same as the transit, the rear axle is a nice solid lump, the front axle is a big beam with needle-roller kingpins...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:43:54 +0100, "/\\/ / & E" enlightened us thusly:

late-model disco I then.

actually, given the choice and the money, I'd hunt the best, most recent and lowest mileage RR classic LSE I could find - I reckon this is about the best RR or disco of the lot - simple engineering (bar for the air suspension[1]) and classic looks, and IMHO the LWB version of the classic body actually looks even better than the SWB 4-door. The original 2-door looks nice, though, and the LSE would be a close-run choice with a genuine CSK.

It's a great shame, IMHO, that they didn't make a disco LSE on the RR chassis with a modified disco body. Would have been a cheap development project for LR and I bet they'd have sold like hot cakes.

[1] and if you wanted, that could be stripped out and converted to steel.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:42:36 +0100, "Pacman" enlightened us thusly:

's hardly toerag-territory, though.

Toyota Landcruiser Amazon... Apparently, th eone to hunt is the 4.2 turbo diesel, though not easy to get, by all accounts.

Mate of mine has just bought himself a Hilux Surf - 93 model, the one that's a complete body not a king cab with a fancy top on the pickup. Have to say, for a 100km motor it looks bloody sound and tidy, all the electrics seem to work, the body's tidy, coil supsension, 2.4 turbo diesel. Not a bad truck for about 3.5K. Grey import, of course, but who cares these days?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Those Saloon Bar experts are probably still talking about the original Beetle like they still tell you a Mercedes is the best car in the world, well built (over engineered) and sold by quality garages. Ten to twenty years out of date. Funny that both VW and Mercedes have gone the same way, reliability wise. Even the German taxi drivers are moving from Mercedes due to the "E" Class problems. (my neighbour sent his back)

For reliability with driving appeal* the following come to mind. Honda BMW Mazda

*not all in the ranges have that special something although BMW come close.
Reply to
Bob Hobden

Well, i got rid of a 1999 5 series BMW due to it having "issues" and a lot of small niggly electrical faults developing, I replaced it with a 2001 330d and had the following faults in a 12 month period of ownership: Park sensor problems x2, Diesel leak at main pump x1, Surging on initial acceleration from cold start if air temp below 4 degC, not cured or proven! CD player cutting out when cornering gently, replaced cd changer, Front lower wishbone bushes cx'd under warranty - bushes shot at 40k miles! Drivers seatbelt no retract, replaced, Rust appearing on inside of bonnet frame.

Now, as much as it was an absolutely fantastic piece of machinery to drive, these faults are not what all the advertising blurb would have you believe is the norm for these cars. I must admit, after owning 2 bm's and having the faults I've had with them at their respective ages and miles, I'll never buy another one!

On the other hand, my Disco II 4.0V8 (2000) has recently thrown a wobbly and dumped it's control of the right hand injector bank of the engine, for no real apparent reason! Cured fairly quickly and painlessly (other than a lot of headscratching ajnd an un-necessary lambda probe) by an ecu remap at the local main dealers - £26.00!!! Now, that's the first fault it's shown me in

3 months of ownership, so my fingers are crossed. But somehow, you accept and almost expect these things with a landrover product, just accepting it and fixing it again usually without too much complaining. Incidentally, the ecu is a bosch unit, utilised in a slightly remapped guise in V8 and V12 bmw's! Coincidence? I wonder. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Famous for cracked heads

Reply to
jOn

keep the king pins greased and check for lift on a regular basis as they have a tendency to destroy the bottom bearing and bugger the stub axles if not caught in time

if you need any info on anything let me know I work for a DAF / LDV dealer

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

that should be the bottom thrust bearing between stub and axle

long night you see

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Thanks for your response Austin. The LDV sounds like a good honest van. I've had two Sherpas and before that we used to run those excellent Austin/Morris LD vans. In fact I still have a 1980 Sherpa aluminium box 'Walk Through' with a rebuilt 1600 cc engine that's not done 5,000 miles. It's been off the road for the last ten years and serves as shed. Trouble is though I need something with a bit more perceived 'class' for business presentation purposes as much as practicality, even if it is more expensive. Despite all the concerns about the current state of VW cars, I'm almost persuaded that their LT 35 vans are the best compared to the rest. I'm going to research a bit more with any fleet users I can find.

cheers

Reply to
Moving Vision

On or around Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:14:54 +0100, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

aye, I thought you meant that. Better than the old bronze bush kingpins which you had to ream though.

tellyerwot, you might look into what are the lowest rate rear springs I can get for it. Mine's de-rated to 8 seats from 13, and the rear springs are way too hard. It's plated as 3.1T gross; if there are lower-rate rear springs for lighter vans, I'd be interested, unless they cost a fortune.

I have all the manuals on CD, bought off eBay...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

would you have it any other way?

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Disco 3, supurb bit of kit. Father has had a Disco 1, 2 (x2) and 3, he recons the 3 is better than all the others put together. He tried all the other 4x4s in its class and chose the disco3. In his words "they've put right everything that was wrong with the others". he's had it since the beginning of November and aside from some electronic niggles in the first couple of months (that were quickly sorted), its been great.

Saw the G4 version at Malvern, might be visiting the bank again, very nice indeed.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G