OT Internet providers

Since we have occasional threads on the topic, I'd just like to rescind my advocacy of Zen Internet "the business internet provider", who are incapable of telling their customers about impending outages for planned maintenance, or the status of that maintenance which has put the 101club website off line until at least tomorrow afternoon.

Avoid. Unresponsive support, no offers of help.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

You are having a giraffe!

I get monthly newsletters from them and have had no problems to day or todate. They have even saved me money recently recommending a improved connection speed for less than I was paying.

Does this help? It tells of planned , current and historic work across the Zen range of services?

I can't recommend them enough and I've been through more than my share of internet service providers. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

I recommend who ever is responsible for the clubs web site and internet strategy should keep an eye on the planned outages linked above, that may help... If my money depended on it then I know I would. Of course it may not show your outage - I can only see work on the C-Panel at the mo which means diddle squat to me. There is however a detailed report here which doesn't leave much unanswered in my untrained Webbarron eyes.

If anyone is getting 101 withdrawal symptoms in the mean time then they are welcome to look at my working web site on Zen that isn't a business related one :-)

Not a share holder - just a happy customer :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Their current downtime is unplanned! (not that they notify you by email of any planned stuff either!). Even after stuff went down they dont notify you. It went down on thursday am and only 24 hours later could they say 'it will be back up on saturday'. In the mean time, rather than pointing the domain to a holding page or temporarily unavailable page, they just killed it, leaving me getting loads of 'wheres it gone!' messages

notice on the support page they have a 'slow performance issues on home

250 broadband notice'. Its from 13/06/2007 and is still open! I had 4 of those connections..

Thats me :p. Its always unplanned outages that last for days. Compared with my work stuff which is now hosted elsewhere and has been down for one afternoon over the last 6 months - we've had close to a week now on zen over the same period!

Of course it

were on cpanel-05. on a 'business account'. When the main switch in one of my schools went down the other day I had a new one bought and installed in 24 hours, yet they can leave 2 servers full of business customers off for 3 days.. Thats comparing a public school (a small/mid sized one with no money) against a commercial company with (i'm guessing) around 200+ business customers affected and the school (not known for their efficiency!) comes out on top!

I've got no complaints with the zen broadband im on. Except that to upgrade it to the next speed level costs more than any other ISP and is more restricted. Thats moving too as soon as they sort out the stalemate im in where i cant get a mac code without giving a cancel date and my new isp wont give me a start date till i get a mac code...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Wasn't that an extra if my memory serves me correct, in which case if the club has paid for it you have a point. If not then you pays your money and takes your chance.

How does this compare with others though I wonder?

Ok good points. How much has the down time cost the club as an estimate or is it just a matter of frustration?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Theres no option for it. and my queries asking if they would offer it have been unaswered...

I'm comparing it with another company who have been hosting my work stuff. All my sites use an online system for logging stuff 9-5 weekdays. We've had, over the last 18 months; 2 days where stuff has been down for most of the day. zen - we had 2 straight days down just before christmas, 3 now and a good 3 or 4 days over the 9 months prior.

both. All our email is down for starters!

everything goes through online now! - were loosing renewals and joins (3 or 4 go through a day) and it doesnt exactly look very good!.

The forum hit over 100 posts a day on monday! So there are going to be lots of very worked up people now!

As i was writing this a man from CID knocked on my door to ask me about one of my neighbours - and there are more lurking about outside. You after me Davies?!

Reply to
Tom Woods

LOL - They are on to you Tom. I'd imagine they are looking for the source of the Veggie oil cloud that has been hanging over the area for the last week ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'm worried now - perhaps the toxic veggie oil/derv cloud i sent out last weekend drifted across the road and was too much for one of the old people!

They must be there now taking air samples...though I havent seen them walk round the back of my place and inspect the fleet yet..

If only the troublesome chavs I had last year would come round tonight too - whilst we have a large non-uniform police presence sitting in the road!

Reply to
Tom Woods