OT (ish) - removing ink.

When I got my current land rover it had writing in various pen scribbled on the back of the sun visors. I've got them in the kitchen now and I'm trying to clean them up.

I've tried: soap and water,

3 kinds of kitchen cleaner, brasso, 'shout' launtry stuff spray, oven cleaner.

nothing is shifting the ink so-far. Any ideas boys and girls?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Neat ethanol shifts most inks with a little scrubbing. Vodka is probably not strong enought though. Methanol/methylated spirit is an OK solvent. If that fails the daddy of all solvents is acetone, however I don't know if it exists outside in the real world. It blinds, so don't go splashing it around if you find any.

None of the above in your list are solvents, just varying stenghts of detergent and oxide remover.

David

Reply to
DavidM

Acetone is available from any chemist for a couple of quid - HOWEVER it will melt the plastic.

I'd opt to use petrol lighter fluid.

Reply to
Mother

Reply to
Phil Clarke

white spirit.. nail varnish remover that foam cleaner that you use to clean computers.....

Reply to
Paul Cherry

Reply to
johnty

Twas Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:43:34 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I have some lighter petrol, is there any benefit in soaking the inky bits in it or is it a case of elbow grease?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Naptha would be best however use petrol as a substitute. The old style Tippex thinner could work ( tri-chloroethane ) it is now banned as an ozone unfriendly so you will have to hunt around for it. Funny enough, Genklene; which is the LR solvent used to clean the turbo charger out is basically the same stuff. DO NOT USE anything like Acetone ( nail varnish remover) it will simply dissolve the plastic.

As with all try a small patch out of the way to prevent c*ck-ups or discolouring.

Friendly dry-cleaners maaaay let you use the solvents they use but I doubt it.

Really it depends on the type of pen ink used and how long the sun has had to cure it to your plastic

Reply to
Hirsty's

Twas Fri, 05 Nov 2004 13:43:34 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I tried the petrol lighter fluid, no effect (or should I have also used a match?.

So before I apply some white hammerite, any other ideas?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

This was posted at

are instructions for cleaning vinyl floors, as mentioned probably bestto try any solvents on a small area or an old spare in the shed. Carefullapplication of a diluted solvent is not going to melt things like alienblood, just stick to the ink. "Permanent Marker Permanent marker may not be completely removable from vinyl no-wax floors! Rub the stain with mineral spirits or turpentine on a clean white cloth. If stain still shows, very carefully wipe with fingernail polish remover containing acetone on a clean white cloth. If stain still shows, rub the area with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) on a clean white cloth. Scrub the area with Armstrong New Beginning® Floor Stripper and Cleaner and a nonabrasive white scrubbing pad, following instructions on the label."

Reply to
DavidM

Methylated spirits usually dissoves ink and it won't damage the plastic.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Try some proper graffiti remover or maybe even tradewipes from travis

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Nige

Wire brush and Detol?

If that doesn't work, maybe an angle grinder?

Actually, I had a neb at your site earlier (blush), so maybe just stick a piccie over the pen marks... ;-)~~~

Reply to
Mother

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother"

Reply to
GbH

In news:cmg4sj$go5$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.th.ifl.net, Phil Clarke blithered:

Pardon me but how is Lemon Juice going to be anyuse on Biro?

Reply to
GbH

In news:4yNid.104$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Hirsty's blithered:

Leaving the Biro which will now be easily removable!

Reply to
GbH

I've had good luck with vinegar to get ink off hard plastic, so maybe it'll work with softer vinyl. Elbow grease still required.

Good luck, Tor

Reply to
Tor

Never thought of that, must be the LR mind at work, I've still got a lot to learn :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

I go for that - applied gently with a scouring pad it gets biro off leather (or it did when the friendly dealer used his biro to point to the ignition key on my brand new Volvo when I picked it up :)

Reply to
David French