[OT] - It lives, by God!

decided I'd had enough reproachful looks from the sierra 4x4 every time I come up the drive, so it's going to be sorted and back on the road. It's not be started for well over a year.

In pursuit of which, bought it a battery this morning. This afternoon, refitted the alternator (which had been borrowed to go on something else), fitted new battery, put about 2l of oil into the engine (dunno who nicked what was in there, pixies, perhaps), topped up the coolant.

Turned the key and it started. I have to admit, I was surprised. Nor were the brakes seized on despite that it had been left with the handbrake on. 2 tyres were flat as pancakes but blew up, although I may replace all of ;em before long as the look a bit old.

The only things not working so far are one rear leccy window, the blower motor and the rear screenwash is leaking fluid into the car instead of squirting the screen.

drove it round onto the yard and pressure washed it - it don't look too bad. Not looked underneath yet, mind.

Next, try and find some classic insurance and the get it MOTed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Dunno how old yours is Austin, I bought a couple of abandonded Sierras from the council a few years back at £23.50 each! (2 of about 5 vehicles I had at the same price).

I found that both had rot in the chassis wround the front of the fuel tank (both were estates) and also the rear arches seemed to get grotty. Also recall plating one on the chassis where the foot well curves (I use the word chassis in it's loosest sense!).

Hope yours is ok. It's always nice to get an old faithfull going again.

Sureterm do the job for me and are worth a call....

:-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

How long was it standing for Austin? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

"Austin > decided I'd had enough reproachful looks from the sierra 4x4 every time I

Cor that reminds me of when I was the holiday garage tow-ee (idiot at the unpowered end of the rope) me and Dad went to pick up a Triumph Herald out of a back garden. Took a while as we had to cut down a tree that had grown through the partly open bonnet inside the inner wings. That took a little coaxing with the fuel pump tickler ( remember those ) and a jump off the Vauxhall's battery and she fired up nicely and after a couple of minutes the smoke cleared and she ran a sweet as a nut Derek ( trying not to buy a landy at the moment - curse you ebay)

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 11 Feb 2006 18:40:46 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

This one's quite sound. It may need the sill doing that wasn't done a couple of years ago.

Firebond came up trumps online, in this case. 3000 mile limited milage, fully comp for a bit under 250 notes, with 2 named drivers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:34:13 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

definitely over a year.

and it's still the old petrol.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Is it fully comp if it is limited to named drivers?

Reply to
GbH

I've a '96 Rover 820 been standing for 2.5 years. Jumped for the first time a month ago since I laid it up outside and it started first turn of the key. TBH I was gobsmacked.

Just don't know what to do with it as it needs new pads/discs and tyres all round which looking at autotrader is probably more than the car's worth.

Reply to
Buzby

On or around Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:51:30 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

comprehensive cover isn't related to drivers, though. These days, unless you can prove it's 100% not your fault, it's the only insurance that makes much sense, TBH. Otherwise you end up paying to fix it every time something happens to it.

Last one I had on TPFT cost me a bit over a grand for my "50% share" of the collision which was probably no more than 25% my fault, but no witnesses. Obviously, the main point of the insurance is about third parties trying to claim half a million, but it's bloody annoying if you keep having to pay to fix the thing when some twonk runs into you and causes 500 quid-worth of damage and then says it was your fault.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

An old mate of mine is currently living and working in India building call centre structures. Been there two years and has a nice house, good skool fer kidz and a 'kin good pension plan.

His collection, including a very serious 90 (toy), Disco II for daily driver and a Merc (dunno what type) fer missus, cost him less than 300 quid a year to insure fully comp - for the lot. Anyone who has driven in India knows what to expect...

... he has had three claims, all paid full, for damage to his Disco and the Merc, with no penalty or loss of his NCD which, for 17 quid, was also protected.

Insurance here, by nature of it being 'insurance here', is not reflective of the exposure insurers face, more a reflection of what they think they can make out of us.

Oh, and the sickening part... 25 quid XS...

Reply to
Mother

I just thought fully comp was all swinginging all dancing everything in, eg any driver, but comp was any damage on top of TP. Hence my query.

Reply to
GbH

On or around Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:30:59 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

well, in my understanding of it, the type of cover is a separate issue to the drivers. It's getting more difficult and more expensive to get "any driver", too, thanks to people using it as a way of getting cover for people who would otherwise be uninsurable.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It cost about a grand (with 2 years no claims) for any driver over 25 on the company Passat 1.9 TDi. It was the only pption, as the broker couldn't provide a policy with more than 4 named drivers.

As I'm paying £600 with 50% no claims for me and Mandy alone on my Volvo (which is personally owned and therefore more carefully driven in theory) I was pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Blimey, I'm paying less than that to insure both my 1997 Audi A4 and the Landy, fully comp with NFU. Mind you that's just me, not sure if adding someone would rival your quote or not.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:22:24 +0000, Ian Rawlings scribbled the following nonsense:

hmmm....

2 disco's, a 101 and a citroen zx with Flux, still far cheaper than that, and all fully comp, and only 1 disco and 101 on limited mileage....
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Ring your insurer and tell them you are a company director and do

40,000 miles a year. It buggers things up somewhat!

Oh, and that your wife crashed the damn thing last year - hence only

50% no claims.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hmm, I'm a company director recently, hope it won't screw things up too badly! Don't do much mileage if I can help it though, used to do about 40K per year but don't commute any more and most of my work is home-based over t' newfangled internet.

Thankfully I don't have your wife on my policy ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

They'll want to know what kind of company you are a director of. Don't say "football club" or "computer company"....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Or any way involved with the "media".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nope..

Feck!

How about "Security firm"..... Visions of peaked-cap-wearing layabouts rather than computer spods, although I suspect that might be worse.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings