OT. Mechanics caught joyriding

Guy takes his Vauxhall Monaro in for a service but doesn't tell the garage he had a Roadhawk black box fitted a few months before, this is what he found when he got the car back....... (Turn sound up) :-)

Bob Hobden

Only 125mph in a Monaro? Wusses.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

The incredible thing is that the gadget used only costs two hundred quid...

William Black

Ah yes... aussie technology (ok, abetted by yankee 6l iron - or should that be alloy?) should be capable of > 125mph... They can do that here (Australia), and easily (google Holden Monaro) :)

... enough cubic inches beats high tech stuff every time. Game over.

I agree... wusses. Not trying hard enough!

Reply to
asdf

It's always amused me that the Vauxhall Carlton/Opel Omega/Holden Commodore were essentially the same car, with differing trim/panels. Yet the Vauxhall's biggest available engine was the 3.0 six, the Opel's biggest available engine was the 3.6 six, whilst the Aussies got a 6.3 V8.....

Oh and to add insult to injury the HSV Monaro could be imported into the UK for less than the cost of the Top-spec Omega MV6 (3.2 V6)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I think you'll find that the Holden Commode had about 2" of extra body width over the Vauxhall and Opel offerings.

Looking at pricing I think you could land a Holden Commodore SS into the UK for about 2/3 the cost of a Vauxhall VXR8. I have no idea about UK used values, but I've just bought a 4 year old ex-lease HSV Clubsport with 80,000km on the clock in NZ for £7000.

Reply to
EMB

I bought a Lotus Elise recently, having been fed up with massive depreciation on normal cars (it replaced an Audi bought for £5,500 and sold 6 years later for £625) and wanting something a bit more fun to drive. I was surprised to find how hard they are to get, due to the number of people in France, Italy and Germany who snap them up and export them from the UK. Most of them don't even get advertised as the dealers get daily phone calls from the continent and ship them out less than a week after getting the cars in. Even private sellers are selling them overseas with the buyers flying to the UK, visiting 4 or

5 cars and buggering off in the one they want. Apparently it's cheaper to get a UK car and convert it to left-hand drive than it is to buy one within their own markets.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:09:37 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

The VXR8 is Monaro though, I think. I'd have one, if I had the money, as it's a great Q-car, a bit like the Lotus Carlton used to be.

and to be fair, they were only doing 125 on the dual carriageway, so not quite as dangerous as it's made out to be. Still naughty doing it in a punter's car though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Monaro is the 2 door coupe which is no longer in production - VXR8 is a (4 door) HSV Clubsport with a Vauxhall badge. And strangely enough, sat here in the land of 8 cylinder Holdens and Fords I always rather fancied a Carlton.

Reply to
EMB

Missus has a relative in Adelaide that has an original Holden Monaro in concours condition sitting in his garage (it's got a trick gearbox with two levers?) It's the Redbacks that hang about in the same garage I don't like.

Reply to
Bob Hobden