OT mobile connectivity

I know there are some IT bods here, I wish to have e-mail access when staying away from home. Sometimes I may be able to connect to a lan or wireless lan in a b&b, others I might connect via people like my dad's next door neighbour who have an open wireless broadband connection and finally via Oranges gprs or csd. This last option looks expensive but handy when camped on site.

I have figured how to get e-mail to my cellphone via gprs but it's hard to read. So I need to find a means of getting it via the cellphone to a laptop.

Currently the only laptop I use is a ibm thinkpad on w95 which runs personal navigator with a garmin 12xl on the serial port on com1 but at 200MB the hdd is at capacity. One problem is I know the m$ active sync software for my motorola phone uses usb but fouls up the com ports on my desktop, so want to avoid that and use the infra red port.

The cheap notebook computers seem to have no serial ports now, is a usb -> serial port adapter just as functional as a serial port?

I take it the current solution of powering the laptop from an inverter running from a cigar lighter socket is cheapest?

Otherwise where might I look for a basic notebook with dvd combo drive, serial, infra red ports and ethernet and wireless cards preferrably running on 12v, oh and a 15" screen. OH I also have a preference for avoiding XP.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Nokia 9500 Symbian OS Big Screen

Wifi gprs IR Bluetooth

Web Browser Email Java https SSL

etc. etc.

soon to have GPS also.

I paid £140 for mine.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

OK give us a clue. What is it?

A problem might be that my current mapping software is windows based.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

As was said at the top of the post - Nokia 9500 - the new Communicator.

Very nice little phone it is too. Got one here, although mine cost me rather more than £140.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

My bad, I did not relate the 'phone to the rest. In fact I do have a nokia 9200 and something like this does not fit my bill.

I want the notebook to keep me occupied whilst in b&b or camped on site. So I need a decent sized keyboard and screen, I could watch dvds then, whatever they might be.

I acquired the 9200 to see if I could load the some compiled opl software from the original psion, in order to poke some numbers into a 'phone memory for the positioning idea in the gps thread.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I absolutely can recommend this nice little thing. Started with the

9110, went to 9210, and now the 9500...great!

regards - Ralph

Reply to
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS