OT - mobile phone details

I changed my mobile at local branch of Carphone Warehouse (always very happy with service there) a few months ago. Kept the old phone (and SIM) to use as PAYG when I get a tuit.

Last night, I got a call from a lady saying she had bought a new phone for her daughter, and when they fired it up, there were a load of contacts already in the memory. She dialled the one called "home" and came though to - me. She was able to tell me both my daughters' mobile numbers, my work number, the full list.

The lady's phone was a NEW phone, not a standby, and I have both old and new SIMs in the house here. I reckon the list must have been copied and held somehow when they kindly transferred my contact list from old to new with the little machine they have. Called CW and it was basically "we're too busy to worry about stuff like that, we have hundreds of dead simcards around the place, what do you expect us to do?" Information Commissioner's Office agree with me that this seems to be a clear breach of the DPA.

Nasty letter to CW head orifice is on its way, with a follow-up of a formal complaint to ICO if they don't respond appropriately. Anything else I should be doing?

TBH, the data isn't exactly top secret or mission-critical, but I'm a bit alarmed that all my personal numbers (especially my kids') are out in the fresh air. The lady who got the phone was clearly responsible and nice, but what if a chav with a sense of humour had got hold of the phone? The chaos and damage that a mischievous person - or a criminal - could have caused makes me go cold.

Not a happy bunny, and unlikely to darken the doors of CW again.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Commissioner's

Most important of all I suspect you can have em for breaking the data protection act, having stored your personal details without written authorisation. Also extends to paper records now I think.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Not quite , the CPW are entitiled to hold customers data and will be registered to comply with the act. What they have done is failed to comply with the requirements of the act by divulgeing the information to a third party and also retaining information which was legally collected for a specific purpose and should have been deleted once that process was completed- nit picking I know and if they still have that information on a computer ( and since they are "too busy" its more than likely)..... the words shit creek and no propulsion apply. In view of their attitude I would report them immediately and copy in the CEO or senior director about a week or so later. Derek

Derek

What they have done is failed to comply

Exactly what I meant

Reply to
Hirsty's

I totally concur with Derek. Their attitude leaves a lot to be desired, and since it's your kids we're ultimately talking about here, then there's no excuse for their lack of professionalism - "busy" or not. Just like you said, it could have spelt disaster if some crank had obtained the information and started harassing your kids. ...Just a sec ... if they have your info on computer, what's to stop them stuffing up and putting it on other people's phones as well?

-Craig.

Reply to
CraigB

Great way to annoy people that you've "gone off" though. Tell em someone else has got their number and then give them abusive calls at one o'clock in the morning......

Reply to
Dave R

Have just realised that one of those nunmbers is mine, don't get any ideas Dave

Reply to
Dave R

It'll be 5am.

Actually, she sounded quite nice, although a bit "vaaalleys".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

AFAICS they have breached principles 5 and 7 of the DPA - data should not be kept longer than necessary, and data should be kept secure.

I cosmic terms, it's no big deal, although with both daughters on there I am glad the data went to a responsible mum rather than a mutant teenager. But they broke the First Law of Customer Service - apologise and be nice. If the manager on the phone had taken me seriously and apologised straight away, I might have left it at the "disappointed customer" stage. I had to actually ask for an apology before I heard the word "sorry", and was made to feel like I was bothering them with trivia. Now it's war, and they can rely on me to be disproportionate.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nice there's still some nice people around innit. I'm up at 5am anyway with the young 'un!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Dave R wrote: ||| ||||| ||||| Have just realised that one of those nunmbers is mine, don't get ||||| any ideas ||||| Dave ||| ||| It'll be 5am. ||| ||| Actually, she sounded quite nice, although a bit "vaaalleys". ||| ||| ||| -- ||| Rich ||| ============================== ||| ||| I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one. || || Nice there's still some nice people around innit. I'm up at 5am || anyway with the young 'un! || || Dave

I'll tell you would appreciate the call....

Reply to
Richard Brookman

But

Srangely enough thats exactly how I usually go about it. Helps when the CEO discovers his business is looking at awkward publicity. Trouble is they do little to train the slaves and reap the benefit when dissaffected employees could'nt give a c...p.

Reply to
Hirsty's

Did you let the "powers" know that CW didn't get your contacts off your SIM, but out of phone memory?

Go get the bastards - sloppy customer care and businesses like that should be made examples of! If it's one thing I hate, it's companies that belittle the customer as if we're dickheads - it probably irks me more than the average Joe because I'm an Engineer with probably more education than their whole customer service department combined ...and being rather pig-headed doesn't help me either :-)

--Craig.

Reply to
CraigB