OT: New target for the anti-smoking lobby..

The money bandwagon rolls on it seems. Those who researched smoking risks won the game, then moved on to passive smoking, and won the game. Now they have a new career path; passive printing!

"The humble office printer can damage lungs in much the same way as smoke particles from cigarettes, according to a team of Australian scientists."

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In news: snipped-for-privacy@desktop.tarcus.org.uk, Ian Rawlings wibbled :

That seems to suggest 'toner' which the majority of home printers do not use! Another case of hysteria producing bad science reporting?

Reply to
GbH

What, you mean second-rate scientists doing pointless headline-grabbing "research"? Surely it can't be true!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

A great many moons ago when I was being trained as a laser printer engineer we were warned on a number of occasions that the toner was a carcinogen because of it's fine particulate nature and that inhaling the ozone produced by the corona wire was none too healthy either.

I'm still in one piece more or less but wouldn't choose to inhale either of those products if at all possible.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Me neither, my point was no differentiation re laser printers was made in the headline. Hence attempting to induce an unnecessary hysterical response in the general populace.

Reply to
GbH

Plus the photo used to illustrate the article was of an inkjet, an Epson stylus photo I think. Journalism at it's most normal.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Oops, but they have now changed it to an image of an HP Laserjet control panel, I'm pretty sure it's been mirrored though, as in it's on the wrong side.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

And the leader now says Laser printer!

Reply to
GbH

Ever get the feeling you're being watched ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings