OT oil for a saab

need to change the engine oil in my wifes 1990 saab 9000 turbo, would this engine prefer some synthetic 0Wsomething? or some good mineral 15w40?

while I'm asking about saabs, the power steering fluid needs topping up, the haynes says "saab power steering fluid", alot of bloody help that is. is it hydrolic fluid like the dot4 (or is it 5?) I use in the clutch and brakes in my land rover? or how about atf as in my land rovers power steering? or something else?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

would be a good place to ask this. I usually just go by the book for mine (but in the future will put the thicker oil in if the engine is getting tired)

I bought 'power steering fluid' from the local motor place IIRC.

Reply to
Tom Woods

SAAB turbo, needs a good quality synthetic engine oil. The 'saab' pas fluid, sold by german&swedish, about £4 for a litre can, as used by most of the german brands.

friendly and informative.

Reply to
murphwiz

you are answering all my questions tonight, I should have just sent you an email ;o)~

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Always use synthetic, I used 5W40 in mine, especially if you drive it hard, or have a wife who drives it then turns it off straight away without leaving it to idle for a few seconds!! SAAB power steering fluid is definitely different, and if you use ATF or 'ordinary' fluid you WILL knacker the seals. It's expensive from the dealer, but you shouldn't need much of it in any case. It's actually made by Texaco, but they won't sell it to you direct unless you buy 205ltrs. If you need that much, I think you've got a leak!! Pete.

Reply to
Pete Turier

I got 3 in a row! :)

Reply to