OT: Rule of Tim / Land Use / Planning

It's my turn to ask something about a million miles off topic...

I'm off to look at a house tomorrow which is sold with a 0.4 acre "paddock" behind it. The plan would be to build a garage on this land, as the house presently doesn't have one. Anyone know if there might be some kind of "type of land use" related trap with that? Does it depend on what type the land is zoned as?

Ta, Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Check the deeds, then check with the local authority planning department. Although it may be that the vendor is using the term 'paddock', it may just be a bit of overgrown garden (Estate Agent speak, 'y see...)

You can however, erect a timber framed building without planning or other consent in most cases.

I nearly bid on a piece of land at a local auction a few months ago, but checking the docs there was a strict rider that the land could only be used for grazing sheep. Kebab anyone? :-)

Reply to
Mother

You will need planning permission on your specific design. It's worth checking with the Estate Agent about any general restriction, but that's unlikely within a village. Still, if it's on the edge of the settlement you might be caught out by the Building Line.

Even then, there are one or two bits of planning procedure which could be used, depending on the size of the garage relative to the house, and exactly where it is. They won't want a creeping development of buildings which can be converted to houses.

It might cost less to check with the local planning department direct, usually the District Council.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I'll see if the agent can shed any light on it in the first instance.

I think the plan would be for something a bit more substantial than that. I'm aware though that garages in many cases don't need planning (my Uncle built one recently and his neighbours were most displeased that he didn't need planning for it, as they were going to object...) The regs are based on a whole host of things including the size and height of the building and how far it is from the main house.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Twas Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:00:55 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

I thought Kebab was goat?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

"Domestic Curtialge" is the key phrase - if it's outside the domestic curtilage you will need full planing permission. Also, what is deemed a temporary structure is depenedent on the presence or otherwise of some form of floor - what the building is constructed with is pretty much irrelenant. What is shown on your deeds is completely irrelevant to the b***ards in the planning office - they will just draw their own map to make things how the want to them be - I know, the local gits here even wanted take away my ex-garden because I buit a garage that they had already told me didn't need permission for. It took a divorce to get them to relent on condition that the garage became a store house (i.e. the roller shutter door fixed in the up poistion). These snivelling little s**ts work to their own agenda and have no concept of who pays their wages, or the feelings or well-being of their customers. Tread *very* carefully with them.

See above....

There may well be an agricultural restriction on the land, and depending on what the restriction is you may well not even be able to keep a horse/pony on it!

Sorry if I've offended any planning typres, but tough - it's your own actions that bring it down on you......

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Paul Everett posted ...

Following on from what richard watson said (I wholeheartedly agree with him), It may well be worth having a friend make enquiries about permissions required. If you make enquiries, and they're negative, then they have a better case against you for later planning changes etc. If A N Other makes enquiries, legitimately 'cos they're 'thinking' about the land, then there's no come-back to you .. ;)

Believe me, if they've said no to you once, they're a little less inclined to say yes at a later date, unless you exactly follow their 'recommendations' ...

OTOH, I do know someone who dealt with 'the planning department' and had absolutely no problems, and indeed had a shed-load of help from them. I'd guess a lot depends, as for many things, on how the planning officer feels on the day - despite what the governing rules say ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

my wife is a product development manager in the meat industry and constantly tries to spoil my pleasure in eating pork pies, kebabs etc

- you DO NOT want to know what goes into kebab meat........

Nick C

Reply to
Nick C

I do - I'm vegetarian. Bring it on!

Reply to
David French

Twas Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:34:02 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

I'm also vegetarian though I'm the only vegetarian in my house, do tell me all the nasty details...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I reckon it's a no win job really. I've had good experiences, to the point of planning committies and senior planning officers visiting the proposed site I wanted to change use of and sitting down with me and working through the best way to pitch the final application - which was passed on the nod, and I've had bad experiences, well only one really, which eventually led to me losing somewhere in the region of 5 Grand. There will always be ignorant little wankers who find themselves in a position of power and abuse it, but generally I think their reaction is concomitant with your attitude when you walk in.

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mr.Nice. at snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-clara.co.uk wrote on 18/2/04 10:31 am:

Could be anything. Whatever it is, is mushed up and re-formed into what is supposed to be meat and probably re-heated several times.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Mother"

Reply to
Paul - xxx

in article c0vvin$1brsfk$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-137265.news.uni-berlin.de, Paul - xxx at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 18/2/04 2:49 pm:

Even if you don't require planning permission for your building, it is always a good idea to submit a drawing to the panning office for their records. Bruce and his brother rebuilt a garage on an area occupied by a previous garage and when the neighbours objected, because they had a drawing of the building and proposed materials, and the fact that they are both builders anyway, it saved the planning officer/building regulations officer a trip down to inspect it, as they were happy with what had been proposed. Bruce says they can definately make it difficult if you don't play by the rules - over really stupid things as well.

Like in previous posts you need to find out what the land use is for the "paddock" and if there are any restrictions on it. It's worth contacting them as where we live now used to belong to the builder that Bruces' Dad was forman for and we have planning permission to construct a cellar and outbuildings from the 1970's. All we had to do when Bruce wanted to extend his workshop for his woodwork machinery, was submit an up to date drawing of what he wanted to build there, and a brief description of the materials he was using.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Nick C at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 18/2/04 3:26 pm:

My Dad told me what goes into them - he was a food technologist. He always made pork pie himself.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I can't see the problem! I love them, and have done for years and I'm not dead yet.... Prehaps its just the country boy in me that is realistic about food sources. The waste in the use of animal carcasses these days is criminal, 30 years ago *everything* got used and no-one died. I'm convinced a great deal of "modern" health scares are down to eveything being *too* clean - a view point held by a growing number of real scientists (i.e. not the "experts" they have on the TV programs). Each unto their own and all that.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Sadly thats exactly what happened to us - they knew the garage was there, the rules were quite clear that permission was not needed, and they had given verbal assurance that our interpretation was correct. This had been confirmed by amn independant planning consultant - it was so straight forward a descision he didn't even bother invoicing us! The garage had been built for two years before a neighbour moaned to the Parish Council about my van. If going after us after 2 years counts as reasonable, then God helps us....... The only way they could get us was by creating a new map, which was still wrong - the boundry between our land and the adjacent field was missing - and using that. Again, is that reasonable behaviour from Council Officials? The first we knew about it was a letter telling us to pull it down!! Just what you need over breakfast!

Plans have a sell-by date - about 5 years or something, within the permission, after which new consent must be sought. Obviously, if its been granted once then re-applying should be easier.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

There is a standard weight of evidence to support this. In our normal state - i.e., picking up bits of dead meat with our unwashed hands and eating it, we would be exposed to a number of bacteria and associated nasties but would learn to live with then and not chuck up every time we encountered a minor irritant bug. I'm totally convinced that this is why I was the only one in our party who didn't get amoebic dysentery during a trip to Africa 20+ odd years ago. There were probably 'things' living in my flat, or more to the point, 'things' that had evolved from the contents of my fridge which would have been somewhat hardcore compared to a mere poo parasite - a sort of Bacteria with East End attitude...

Course, in order to keep a girl in the flat whilst sober, I had to clean my act up a bit...

Reply to
Mother

Generally, yes, however a couple of caveats (I've just found this out).

A 'change of use' can be granted for a limited period, after which it must be renewed and will be the subject of the 'local plan', or, how the local authority have decided the development of the 'area' should be managed. A grant for a building or other permanent structure is a de-facto permission to build within the scope and limitations of the grant - UNLESS it is specifically stated therein that completion should be within a set period of time. I have an 'open' document to build dating back to 1979. Now, it will generally be the case these days that the planners will come out upon completion to inspect and ensure that you have completed within the scope of your application, as a consequence there will be time limitations (not unreasonable) written into the consent.

As an aside, I have two documents from Swale Borough Council (well, I actually have about 40 or so, but there's only two relevant to my comments here), one of which is permission to erect a bungalow (now built) with a condition that an old WW2 bungalow be demolished. The second document is a prohibition order preventing the demolition of the old WW2 bungalow as it's now a Grade 2 listed building. Urgh...

The Grade 2 listing was applied without (to my knowledge) anybody knowing it. They've also listed the WW2 gun site - essentially a large, round bit of concrete which I rather feel would make ideal 101 parking :-)

The really odd part is that there were numerous representations made at the time the application for the new bungalow to protect the entire site (the new bungalow is not within the boundaries of the existing WW2 army camp). I'm actually very happy to find the main buildings and structure of the site has been protected as originally suggested, but it really would have been nice if someone had taken the time to mention it!

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 19/2/04 9:28 am:

Kids who aren't allowed to eat a sandwich they have dropped on the kitchen floor are more likely to get tummy upsets etc than those that do. I read an article in hospital after having one of mine about these sorts of things. This was further backed up by a nurse I met recently whilst on a First Aid course.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley