OT: Selling a car to a Frenchman

Hi all,

OT but you guys seem to know most things!

Have sold my Disco to a guy in France who is coming over to pick it up and take it back with him to France.

Should I just fill in the notification of permanent export and let him take the remainder of the V5 with him when he goes. I assume as soon as DVLA receive this notification they don't care about who owns the vehicle anymore. Do I need any evidence from customs to prove it has been taken out of the country.

Any advice please. DVLA recorded info just repeats what it says on the form and doesn't anticipate this scenario.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Williams

I had a real dust-up with DVLA about just this problem last year. At first, they said I should have signed the "permanent export" secti "... your particular circumstances are not catered for in the formal guidelines. In the light of your enquiry, we will add new material to the booklet (INS160) at the next reprint."

"If the purchaser does not have an address in this country and wishes to export the vehicle immediately the existing registration document can be handed to the buyer. The document may then be presented to the registration authority abroad to effect re-registration"

"In order to discharge your liability a letter should be sent notifying DVLA that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. This will prevent any subsequent action being taken against you in the event of unlicensed use and other offences that might be committed after you have disposed of the vehicle"

So I'd sign the changes section, hand it over, write to the DVLA, and stick a note in your diary to chase them up if they don't acknowledge your letter within a few weeks. I'd let the buyer worry about Customs. Apparently DVLA won't themselves notify foreign (even EC) registration authorities, and can't even record foreign addresses. So much for the "unified European V5C"

Must check whether they ever did update the booklet like they promised.

Reply to
Autolycus

I'd also add to send the letter to DVLA by recorded delivery or motorcycle outrider havily armed in order to obtain a name and signature of the recipient. It may be unecessary in most cases but their rather intimidating letters and suggestions of court cases cause more than their fair share of sleepless nights for the innocent few. Theres nothing I find more frustrating than an denial of receipt of letters and always wish after the event I'd sent it recorded delivery.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Always send ANY important communication by Recorded Delivery - always.

I ended up in Court following a monumental DVLA (useless wankers) balls-up. I presented all the various correspondence together with corresponding Recorded Delivery slips and printouts of proof of delivery to the Court. Got thrown out and I claimed somewhat unreasonable costs which almost but not quite made it all worth it :-)

I never did get an apology, though, which fecks me off more than anything else when dealing with clueless, officious paper-pushing tossers 'in authority'.

Another balls-up almost led to one of our local 'Bobbies' - someone for whom I have a great deal of time actually, nearly losing her job. Again, no apology, not even close, just a letter saying that although they may have been wrong, it was obviously her fault...

I take great pride - when wearing one of my other 'hats', in being equally as officious and unhelpful when I'm called upon to deal with such government employees - whilst being totally fair and just - obviously.

We like to think that we can trust government empowered bodies to get it right, albeit 'eventually', however the sad truth is that we cannot, and therefore must protect ourselves from their fuckwittery.

Reply to
Mother

And thankfully we live in "one Europe" no more borders no more customs and finally one currency. (hehehe) Grt Robert

"Mother" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
rob smit

Absolutely couldn't agree more. The government and their institutions are getting more arrogant and presumptuous by the day.

Reply to
Moving Vision

As in:

"The state budget must be balanced. If the state is not to go bankrupt, public debts must be cut back, the arrogance of the officials must be curbed and brought under control, and payments to foreign governments must be reduced."

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 B.C.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

so Nigel Hewitt was, like...

Nothing new under the sun, then.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

There is now, along the lines of "If the state budget is running out of money move the accounting period to generate another 10 billion..."

Reply to
Dave Liquorice