OT - speakers

A bit off topic, but I have a question about speakers: I made a little sound kit for my son but its a bit quiet. It has a 0.3W 8 ohm speaker on it. If I were to make an amp kit (Maplins do a 7W and a 30W, what sort of speaker should I use? The amp kit says 15W into 4 ohm, if I buy two car speakers from Maplin does it matter about the ohm rating? Maplin do a 4" and 5" (p.382 of the cat. if anyone has one) pair that are rated power wise but it doesn't say the ohm rating. Does this matter?

Thanks in advance Richard

Reply to
Richard

Erm, this posting seems odd, partly because you're sort of demonstrating you know what you're doing by building Maplin kits (and well done too, this is about the only thing which is going to keep electronics alive IMO). But then you're asking something to do with Ohm's Law...??? :-)

Anyway, I've got a little calc on my site which can help in these matters:

Right at the very bottom of the main page.

Keep building those little kits BTW, I've been doing them for nearly

40 years with one excuse or another... I still can't resist those cheap 5 quid kits, even knowing that I can get the components individually for around 20p :-)

RIP Practical Wireless Magazine

Reply to
Mother

It's not critical at these sort of power levels. Hang a 4 ohm speaker off an amp designed for 8, the amp will just run a bit warmer than it should. Hang 8 of an amp designed for 4 it just won't go as loud before clipping.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the reply. The sound kit is a darth vader voice voive changer I got from Australia and I have adapted it to sound like a dalek. I assume you treat speakers the same as resistors as in series or parallel? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Crumbs, I made something similar many (too many) years ago. Like I said, RIP Practical Wireless Magazine... Oh the joy of the 555 timing chip :-)

I seriously wouldn't bother to worry too much IIWY, as there's not enough power output to compensate for. One other option for you would be to buy some computer speakers from a computer fair or jumble - around 50p should do it.

Reply to
Mother