OT: Strangely interesting article

Honking great big semi-flying machines that were designed to fly about

10 metres above the sea surface, using reflected air as a cushion. Includes links to videos and is fascinating. Some odd looking but impressive machinery. Even has some spy shots from Google Earth showing that some of these things are still out there in various Chinese or Russian bases.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

havent looked at the link, but do you mean an ekranoplan? there is a chap in se london with an awesome model of one (rc)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

That's the one, never heard of one before, or not that I remember anyway. The video is worth watching, 10 min documentary with lots of "flying" shots.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes

Reply to
Srtgray

Also known as WIGE (Wing In Ground Effect) craft I believe. I have no idea if that's pronounced "wig", "wiggy" or "widge"! Takes shed loads of oomph to get them going but once they're on the cushion you can switch almost everything off and they'll stay up on a mouse fart.

Reply to
Steve

Anyone ever built a model?

Reply to
William Tasso

On the video clip they show one leaping off a ramp into the sea after already picking up the required speed, given the size of the things, quite scary.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There's a TV documentary about these which is fascinating - only it has stupid title something like "Dragons That Fly" or whatever. Well worth a look when it's repeated.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

: >> havent looked at the link, but do you mean an ekranoplan? there is a : >> chap : > in : >> se london with an awesome model of one (rc) : >>

: >

: > Also known as WIGE (Wing In Ground Effect) craft I believe. I have no : > idea : > if that's pronounced "wig", "wiggy" or "widge"! Takes shed loads of : > oomph : > to get them going but once they're on the cushion you can switch almost : > everything off and they'll stay up on a mouse fart. : : Anyone ever built a model?

yep

Proper shop bought kits!

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

: >> havent looked at the link, but do you mean an ekranoplan? there is a : >> chap : > in : >> se london with an awesome model of one (rc) : >>

: >

: > Also known as WIGE (Wing In Ground Effect) craft I believe. I have no : > idea : > if that's pronounced "wig", "wiggy" or "widge"! Takes shed loads of : > oomph : > to get them going but once they're on the cushion you can switch almost : > everything off and they'll stay up on a mouse fart. : : Anyone ever built a model?

and more of the RC variety

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

I'm sure I've seen a proggy on TV (discovery?) about a civilain application of the technology a very much smaller boat planned as a prototype for future ferries Derek

Reply to
Derek

application

If I remember correctly the argument is was that big ones could carry freight around the world far faster than ships but far cheaper than air freight. The down side is that anything which leaves the ground/sea is subject to the huge regulatory burden of aircraft, which is what killed the big hovercraft in the end. Greg

Reply to
Greg

The americans and their military used the existence of WIGE to try and evade the patents on Hovercraft for many years, though they lost in the end AFAIK.

Steve

Reply to
steve

From the documentary it seems that the major problem as that the sea has a depressing habbit of not being very flat most of the time.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yes, I know someone in the merchant navy and it's not unheard of to be on the bridge of his rather large freighter, as high as a tower block, and to look _UP_ at the sea 8-). Greg

Reply to
Greg

In article , beamendsltd writes

Might have started out as a Horizon programme, "The Caspian Sea Monster" or some such name.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

That was the one!