OT - Tesco Home Shopping

Just started using the TESCO online shopping to make life easier since the arrival of junior CFB number 4 !!

Question is, do I tip the delivery driver? Used the service for the 1st time last week and was really impressed, however the driver hovered after I signed for the shopping as if he was expecting a tip. Now I am not tight but I already pay for the delivery service and was not really expecting to tip but don't want to embarrass myself if I should be doing so.

Anyone got a view please?

Reply to
Andy

I wouldn't...I've used Tesco, Asda and Ocado and I've never experienced a driver "hovering"...we pay a premium to have it delivered anyway so why pay more? Maybe at Christmas if he's had to make 5 or 6 trips to the van to bring the stuff to the door....

Ta Pacman

--

1992 RR Vogue SE - on Ebay
RR P38 4.0 SE

That was my gut feeling, just didn't want to be accused of being a tight Yorkshireman :-)

Andy

Disco3 TDV6 GS Auto Defender 90 200 Tdi

Reply to
Andy

We use it all the time, never tipped them at all. we gave up with tesco & went with Sainsburys, the drivers are more pleasant & timekeeping is better.

Reply to
Nige

I'd tip him..... like "Don't hand around too long you may get yer van nicked" ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Bah Humbug. Tesco won't deliver to us but they do to the town 2 1/2 miles down the road... So we end up doing a 50 odd mile round trip to do the shopping ourselves in stead of our shopping coming in a van with several other peoples shopping...

Do you tip any other courier? I guess he hovered as he knew you were new... I might tip at Christmas if the same driver had been doing the run regulary and was on time did a good job etc...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I used to drive home shopping delivery vans for another big supermarket.

I think that if your driver was expecting a tip he was chancing his luck. Carrying one's own cash on the shop floor was banned where I worked because of the difficulty in proving that cash belonged to you and that you didn't just lift it out of an open till.

Accepting tips for any employee was classed as gross misconduct. There were regular searches if they were losing money out of the tills. Out in the field, sometimes you could offend a customer by not accepting a tip so I'm sure it went on occasionally.

I'd never have hung about expecting a tip however.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I can understand the logic of that, but it strikes me as a pretty us- and-them style of management.

But this afternoon, at the local Tesco, they were calling all managers to a "rumble on aisle 4".

Sharks or Jets?

Reply to
David G. Bell

You're a tight Yorkshireman.