OT - unbelievable

Cyclist caught going through red light, fined =A330. Appeals, complains that this is a waste of police time, and the wrong thing to do, as it discourages people from getting out of their cars and onto a bike.

He should try driving a car for a bit. Then he's know about unreasonable enforcement of the law. I bet he wears a bobble hat.

Reply to
Dave P

Nah! Lycra.... There was a programme called "2-D TV" or something on Channel 4 a while back that had animated London-type cyclists[1] as alien beings - very much on the mark.

Richard

[1] I say London-type, as, apart from the "I'm really into cycling, yes it is just a co-incidence I lost my licence" brigade, cyclists round these parts are usually attired in a cloth cap, three overcoats and wellies, with short roll-up welded to their lip. They can often be seen trying to put their beards out on down hill stretches.
Reply to
beamendsltd

: "Dave P" wrote: : : > Cyclist caught going through red light, fined £30. Appeals, complains : > that this is a waste of police time, and the wrong thing to do, as it : > discourages people from getting out of their cars and onto a bike. : >

: >

: > He should try driving a car for a bit. Then he's know about : > unreasonable enforcement of the law. I bet he wears a bobble hat. : >

Its one of the things that narks me the most, working in the city. Lights go red, and thats the point as a pedestrian that you have to take your life into your hands - why - cos of some wanker in lycra who **MUST** be red/green colour blind, and gets stroppy if you're in the middle of the crossing when they want to go through it.

I hope some magistrate actually looks at this properly and fines the prat even more

It'll never happen though, it never does, because sensible well enforced laws and fines are always bolloxed up by some magistrate or other trying to be trendy or green, or worse green and trendy,

harrumph

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Just wait until he or one of his ilk gets hit by a car whilst going through a red light, or worse still, observes a car going through a red light at 5:55 am "ban all cars! 4x4 owners irresponsible! make traffic laws non-applicable to bicycles!"

Back to reality, I do think that enforcing red light rules in the wee small hours is daft. Here on the continent, traffic lights are often switched to flashing amber after midnight, inviting one to "proceed with caution". Much more sensible.

Stuart long time cyclist as well as biker and Land-Rover owner

Reply to
Srtgray

At last - someone actually doing something about them cycling through red lights - should happen far more often. No doubt the driver would be blamed had he wiped a cyclist out who had ridden through red lights despite the cyclist being at fault. £30? should have been £300 as an example to others.

"It was 5.55am, I was surprised when the police stopped me, I was the only traffic on the road."

So???! Cars stop for traffic lights no matter what time of day. Whilst we are on my pet subject!.. ..I still think we should adopt the continental 'flashing amber' type light in the middle of the night on quiet junctions. The number of times I sit at roundabouts or junctions in the early hours with absolutely nothing else around. They could even turn most traffic lights off at roundabouts during the night, would save drivers sitting at idle and electricity - good all round as far as I can see. Unfortunately 99% of councils are not that sensible.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Snap! :-) Number of UK drivers who I beep through them gets annoying tho!

Stuart - you wouldn't be the guy who posted on FrenchEntree about the LR for sale and the accident, would you?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"It was 5.55am, I was surprised when the police stopped me, I was the only traffic on the road."

Right...so the police were on foot? Stunning :-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Don't think so. What ees zis FrenchEntree?

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Probably - Queen's Road is by the University, lots of student flats, and the accompanying trouble and petty theft. One of the few places you might see a Bobby on the beat.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Just a website with French living info for us Englishies! Must be a coincidence - there is/was a guy on there called Stuart in the Charente who was selling a Land Rover!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Ah, no, couldn't be me - I'm not selling!

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Cyclist caught going through red light, fined £30. Appeals, complains that this is a waste of police time, and the wrong thing to do, as it discourages people from getting out of their cars and onto a bike.

Wonder if he's thought of the mental mess he would leave any legal driver in if he were to be mutilated or killed. Ban him from riding the bloody bike like any other road user

Reply to
Hirsty's

Oooh no! You can't do that. There would have to be three month risk analysis, involving at least 2 senior council officials for each junction. Then 6 month monitored trial. Also, a new post would have to be created, at a senior level of course, complete with a brand new office and at least a secretary and a receptionist (permenently off sick) to manage the switching on and off of the lights. Plus, before that all installations would have to renewed (update existing ones? You'll be saying councillors should pay for their own holidays next!) and an alternative to the flashing yellow found (coz that's Continental you know, and we don't do things like that). Also, some nice expensive interesting colour of tarmac will need to be found so that everyone can tell some works have been done. Red can't be used since almost the entire road network is now red.

And then they can put it all back as it was because some Health & Safety bod with a non-job decides its a terrible risk as Mrs. Merilda Scroggins (aged 103) told Her Enid that she might get a bit confused.

You think I'm joking? Shropshire council have closed a road in a popular tourist area for re-surfacing, necessitation a 15 mile detour. They told Midlands Today they couldn't do it in the winter when it's quiet "because you can't lay tarmac when it's cold"..............

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

ever had a cycle/cyclist bump into your car/truck/van? twit that pulled up on my nearside must have been off playing truant when the highway code was discussed. he thought that turning right from the middle of the road (between two rows of cars going stright on) was gonna be a good thing (tm). he was the most miserable, loudest, most aggressive road user I've ever met. Threatened all sorts of retibrution legal and otherwise, gesticulating like a madman. I laughed at him and pointed out that the junction was under video surveilance and I'd be happy to use the evidence in any court. yes - of course, this was one with the lycra thing.

Road use - it's not difficult, but common sense /is/ a prerequisite.

Why just the middle of the night? with traffic sensing units it must be trivial to discern the difference between "low demand" and "stacked up for miles"

Don't start me off on traffic lights at roundabouts - you'll never get me to stop. That has to be one of the worlds best arguments against over engineering.

If the round-a-bout can't-cope/is-failing then redesign it or replace it with a traditional junction and lights as a last resort.

The parameters of 'sensible' appear to undergo twilight-zone transformations when encased in a Town Hall^w^w Civic Centre.

One of the issues is that 'doing nothing' is now underated as a 'solution'. Junctions/roads get busy, some more than others at different times. Sometimes it takes nearly 30 seconds to get out of the drive (only in the Disco - the 110 is afforded far more respect) - it happens, so what! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that the route from DomitoryTown to PlaceOfWork is gonna be busy in the morning. Use another route? get a different job? travel at a different time? put up with it? No biggie really.

Here's something: 9 to 5 ers should be heavily taxed on their going to work journeys (whatever their mode of transport) - 100% rebate for the 1st

5 miles. That ought to clear a few junctions.
Reply to
William Tasso

||| "Dave P" wrote: ||| |||| Cyclist caught going through red light, fined £30. Appeals, |||| complains that this is a waste of police time, and the wrong thing |||| to do, as it discourages people from getting out of their cars and |||| onto a bike. |||| ||||

He received a FPN for £30, appealed, and had to pay the fine and £100 costs when he lost. Result.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Cyclist caught going through red light, fined £30. Appeals, || complains || that this is a waste of police time, and the wrong thing to do, as it || discourages people from getting out of their cars and onto a bike. || || || Wonder if he's thought of the mental mess he would leave any legal || driver in if he were to be mutilated or killed. || Ban him from riding the bloody bike like any other road user

I agree, but the first thing I thought on reading it was WTF is he on about? If I have his argument right, he is saying that

o it is desirable that people should get out of their cars and onto bikes, and o enforcing the Highway Code regarding bikes will put people off using them, so o the Police should not enforce the Highway Code if the offender is a cyclist.

Tosser doesn't even come close.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

hurrah, only complaint would be fines weren't high enough ;-)

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

I don't smoke on my bike, but I had to stop smoking my pipe while driving the pinz as I almost set my hair on fire due to tobacco being sucked out the top of the pipe due to a strong draught.. Slapping my head while trying to get that thing round a corner really demonstrated the perils of smoking.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ah I agree, how about the African way.

See a space go for it :-))

No cost, skill in avoiding accidents increases and the faint hearted kept off the roads

Reply to
Hirsty's

||| Don't start me off on traffic lights at roundabouts - you'll never ||| get me to stop. That has to be one of the worlds best arguments ||| against over engineering. ||| || || Ah I agree, how about the African way. || || See a space go for it :-)) || || No cost, skill in avoiding accidents increases and the faint hearted || kept off the roads

Or the Italian way, as told to me by an Italian. On red traffic lights:

North of Milan, stopping is compulsory. Between Milan and Rome, it's advised. South of Rome, it's a suggestion.

Reply to
Richard Brookman