OT. volvo "following on"

Hi all. it's a question about a 1969 volvo i have, ordinary motor. 3 litre straight 6 with twin stromberg 175cd. I just got her fired up yesterday after 18 months and a switch from LPG back to petrol and i'm currently trying to sell it. problem is, after it reaches operating temperature, i try turning it off and it follows on a disturbing amount. it will cough and splutter violently for up to 20 seconds before finally coughing itself to sleep. what could cause it to behave so badly?

i'm fearing carbon build-up in the cylinders which is bad because i really don't want to lift the head because i can't seem to find a head-gasket for less than about $aus 150. any ideas?? how effective are those decoking additives for petrol engines? Thanks for any advice.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Check the timing. It may have been 'advanced' it to make it run better on LPG.

Reply to
Brian

It sounds like a Volvo 164. If it is the model with the 'thin' bumpers and the double head lights... Do not sell it yet. It will be worth a fortune in the near future. At least in Europe it will. If it is any other model do not waste your time on the engine. Just throw it away..... Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Hi Brian. i just set the timing yesterday afternoon, back to the standard 5 BTDC. Why would the timing cause the motor to follow on, just out of curiosity?

Thanks.

Reply to
Samuel

G'day Erik.

Well spotted, it is a 164 and it is the one with the thin bumper and the side-mirrors that sit out on the wings. it is a beautiful car and in very good condition, but i can't have it sitting around for all that much longer and i want the money. I am in Australia, and while it is not worth a fortune yet, i should be able to get a decent amount for it if a collector decides they want it. I believe it is the only one exactly like it in Australia, as the original owners shipped it over from the UK when they migrated.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Over-advanced ttiming leads to higher combustion chamber temperatures - thus there's more residual heat to cause pre-ignition (or running on).

A lean mixture can have the same effect, as can a too-high idle speed (I'd be looking for an idle speed around 700-750 rpm mex). Also a sticky choke mechanism can cause similar problems.

Reply to
EMB

Over-retarted timing has a similar effect doesn't it? i might try the timing in a few different spots and see if theres any improvement.

while i don't have a tacho, or one of those multi-meters with a tacho, i'm fairly sure it's about 700, if not less. the carbies have those annoying non-tamper needles, so i can't adjust the mixture.

Thanks again,

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Wrong/old spark plugs can have the same effect as well. Try changing them.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Or any fuel cut off solenoid that may be sticking open. Though TBH at that vintage I don't think many petrol engines they had 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi Sam, Very nice. Pitty you have to sell it. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets