OT: What happened next

So we're driving down the road, group of people with a dog, which is bit excited and bounding around, not on a lead. SWMBO driving, doing about 25, spots the dog, and makes a comment about "Do they want that dog to get killed"

Guess what happens next.......

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Hi,

Next time Blair appears publicly somewhere may I propose you let SWMBO drive again???? (lol)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Simon Isaacs wibbled

  1. Dog jumps into road, kids spot it and run after it, saving the dog and your missus kills three children?
  2. Dog gets killed by numpty coming up to you much faster than you're travelling but who hasn't seen it.
  3. Nothing. Carry on, nothing to see here .....

  1. Wife gets upset and steers into lamppost wiping out rest of your family, the lamppost falls over wiping out group of people, dog has large meal ....

  2. Aliens land and shoot the dog.

  1. Wife carries on driving and kills dog. (Fave) Group get upset, which also upsets wife so you get upset and shoot them. Dog gets up, yelps and runs off. You're up on a murder charge within the hour.

Jeez but I'm bored ........

Reply to
Paul - xxx

"Simon Isaacs" wrote

Do you still have to report a dog accident to the Police?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Bob Hobden uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yes

PC GASH MD

Pig Cow Goat Ass Sheep Horse Mule Dog

Reply to
Lee_D

Atleast you were in a proper car. I got hit by a dog (it ran into the side of me) in my first car (a fiat uno) and i had to have a new wing and a new door!. Dog ran off in one piece! (minus some fur and a bit of skin)

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Hello, is that the police? I'd like to report an ass accident... just a few minutes ago...no, not my ass, I was the one who caused the accident....yes....well, I lost control you see and...."

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Is the RIGHT ANSWER!

Reply to
Rich B

"Lee_D" wrote after

You probably guessed I was hoping you would read my question and reply. :-) Thanks Lee. Interesting way of remembering it, a bit like "A little RUBY PORT LEFT in the bottle" the watermen use.

Before I wrote that I'd tried to look it up in the Highway Code, revised

2007 edition, but couldn't see anything about reporting accidents involving animals.
Reply to
Bob Hobden

Wife steers and brakes to avoid the dog. which keeps coming across the road, *fortunately* nothing coming. Two thuds. Dawn screams, Harry starts to scream. Car stops I get out. Dog laying in middle of road yelping.

Family come ambling while I rush to the dog, who has a broken leg and cuts to both front legs. I turn to the family and ask why it wasn't on a lead. They shrug. Then I notice no collar, so ask why no collar. Daughter says in broken English that its not their dog, it was just following them.

Try to get them to provide names and addresses as witnesses. They don't understand as they are Polish...... Obviously hitting a dog in Poland is not a problem.... Eventually get a name and address....

Dog is now up and hobbling around, a lovely Staffy. Picks it up, puts it in the boot of the car and rings the police, which you have to do because it is a licenced animal and must be reported, iof you don't, you can be prosecuted.

20 minutes later we are on our way to the Police Station to produce all Dawn's documents. Police couldn't give a toss about the dog, I explain to the desk seargeant that dogs should all be collared and tagged as required by law. His comment was "I've better things to do with my time"

We end up dropping the dog at the local vets in our village where the accident happened. He doesn't recognise the dog, and cannot find a chip either, which is fustrating considering it appeared to be a pure Staffy.....

Net result:

1) No damage to car 2) One annoyed vet, as he has to take the animal, and treat it, but as the owner is unknown may not get paid... 3) One very upset Dawn, who refuses to get back behind the wheel 4) One wasted day 5) One letter to the Police Station with the number of the seargeant, me complaining aboiut his lack of interest, concern and comments....

We think we know who the dog belongs to, so went to the house to see if was theirs and let them know what had happened. The father said they hadn't lost a dog, but the little girl in the background heard us telling the story and began crying. Left the house (avoiding treading in the piles of dog cr*p littering the path and driveway) with the threat that we weren't to show our faces near his house again. Withoiut wishing to be stereotypical, they looked the sort to own a staffy, he was built like a brick wall, earrings and gold rings, you know the type!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

No such thing. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simon Isaacs wibbled

I'd have got there ... eventually. ;)

Hard luck for Dawn, but hopefully she'll soon realise there was no more she could do and get back behind the wheel.

We've had the same from local police station, absolutely no interest at all. I wouldn't waste too much time complaining, but a nicely worded snail mail letter might provoke _some_ response. Don't you just _know_ though that if you'd not bothered some do-gooder would have seen it, reported you and _then_ they'd be interested enough.

But I doubt it.

Hope Harry and everyone with the lurgy are getting better.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I wasn't going to admit to thinking that :-)

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

Agreed, what can be done, and more, has been done. How ever the longer she leaves it before getting back behind the wheel the harder it will be.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Round here they're chav dogs owned by chavs. I'd like to think it's not the dog's fault - but I'm not too sure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave> Round here they're chav dogs owned by chavs. I'd like to Dave> think it's not the dog's fault - but I'm not too sure.

There are no chav dogs, just chav owners.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Bit like saying there are no chavs, only chav parents.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In a dim and distant universe , Bob Hobden enlightened us thusly:

[Snippety snip]

I thought you only had to report accident involving licensed animals, and since they abolished the dog license....

There are a number of irritating cats around here, but so far I've managed to miss them all. :-(

Reply to
Paul Vigay

This once happened to a friend of mine, her husband is a police officer.

One of them hit a dog in there car, the inpact damaged the front bumper of the car (a Citeron black BX, shows how long ago it was)

Dogs own was sued for the damages to the car as the dog should have been on a lead in the first place.

Reply to
vertuas

In message , Simon Isaacs writes

Forgive me but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

A few years ago HMG aka Tony Blair decided that introducing a whole lot of draconian measures against dog owners would be hugely popular. However when it came to details it proved to be quite hard and difficult i.e. they could easily lose as many votes as they might gain, so they decided to drop it and devolved it down to the local council.

Each council can introduce its own Dog Control measures. As far as I am aware, and I may be wrong, there is no universal law requiring dogs to have a collar or be on a lead. It is a matter for your local council and its enforcement officers.

However, owners are legally liable for the actions of certain animals and these are covered under public liability in your household insurance policy. They are defined as controllable animals and their list may be the same as that quoted by Lee. I know dogs are included whereas cats are not.

Dogs without collars or strays can be rounded up, incarcerated in the local pound and only released on payment of a fee. Chipping is mandatory in Northern Ireland but has not been particularly successful not least because the things migrate around the dogs body and can't be found.

Our local council made a complete hash of trying to introduce a Dog Control Order. Despite the majority of owners supporting the majority of the proposals they did it in such an arrogant way that they simply antagonised everyone.

As a dog owner myself I find it frustrating to constantly hear of the irresponsibility of others and the way they put their own dogs at risk. It gets us all a bad name.

Reply to
hugh