OT :Window suckers

Any one know where window suckers like those on GPS mounts can be had?

I need to fasten a light frame with a mirror and a wireless cam on to the rear window of the caravan. Mirror is to reverse the image so on the display it looks right for a mirror IYSWIM.

I know there are specific reversing cams out there but this is a multipurpose set up so it will easily swap from Disco to 101 amoungst other little tasks it will perform when not caravanning :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You have checked that the MONITOR hasn't got a 'flip', haven't you? (Most reversing systems flip the image at display - not source.)

't reminds me, must get all the conduit in whilst the roof is down for my reversing camera system etc - which is, sadly, wired.

Reply to
Mother

you can easily flip the image on a CRT tv by swapping 2 wires over on the gun. I'm using a small maplins b&w TV modded in the above way to run my 101 reversing camera. saves using a mirror.

I cant find the web page now, but if you have the back off the TV there are 4 wires IIRC running to the main gun bit. swap 2 of them and it mirrors it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

read this

if you take the back off the tv there will be 4 wires going to the coil. 2 are the horizontal, 2 are vertical. You need to swap the horizonatal ones to mirror it.

If you buy one of the very cheap maplins tv's I can pull the back off mine again and tell you which colours it is. I put a switch in mine so i can put it back to normal if i want.

Reply to
Tom Woods

For mounting stuff (any stuff), try

RAM do a sort of lego kit of all kinds of mounting bits and pieces, in the "Vehicle and in-car" section under "accessories" you'll find suction cups with rubber balls on, then you can buy whatever arm suits you best.

RAM's stuff looks good BTW, and the variety is excellent, much of it is non-specific stuff, e.g. a 2.5 inch rubber ball connected to a threaded sleeve, or a ball on a pair of U-bolts, fit that to whatever you want then slide on arms, laptop bases etc onto the rubber ball. I'd advise anyone who needs to fit something to a vehicle in a manner that means it might need to be moved or detached, to have a good wander through their website.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd go for the cheap option... go to your local pet store and buy a pack of those suckers for holding heaters on the inside of fish tanks... they are quite sturdy.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

In article , Lee_D writes

It's a bit OTT, but I have several of these:

which I use for holding double glazing panels. They're made of cast aluminium and work very well indeed (especially the double one).

They might be easily modified for your purpose but they are a bit big (about 5" across).

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Tom,

I like! I binned one of those sets I got at Trentham for £10 cos it wouldn't pick up TV. Now I'm a little fed up that I did. Where did you mount the switches? I'll get one and put it in the 101 fixed.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

i put the switch in the side of the base. loads of empty space in the casing on mine as theres a big battery compartment at the bottom!.

Ive got to pull it apart again shortly as i originally only swapped the horizontal over to mirror it. im now going to mount it upsidedown stuck to the roof so need to swap the vertical too.

TBH. i doubt that i will ever use it for tv anyway. i'd rather get a different colour one if i want to watch TV in the truck or a usb tuner for the laptop.

Reply to
Tom Woods

like this

:)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've wired a relay to the Reverse light switch in the gearbox (not a lot of use to you I know), that'll flick the reverse cam on and flick the monitor to mirror - I prefer to remotely mount non standard switches as I can more easily get into the original equipment case should I need to do so.

Reply to
Mother

nice idea. does the standard 101 gearbox have an empty threaded hole for a reverse light switch like some of the series boxes do?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes.

Steve

Reply to
steve

Uses the same part no switch as that used on the diff lock light switch....

Now I've had the switch on the shelf for about 2 years, perhaphs I'll get it sorted soon in time for October Unofficial if we tug the van with Morph.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

any hints as to finding it? where is it in relation to the hole with the rubber boot over it where the lever goes into the top of the gearbox? I had a quick look but couldnt see it. do i need to find a mirror so that i can peer round the sides of it and locate it?

Reply to
Tom Woods