OTish- Useful PDA toys.

Just got my first PDA.... I know how my Dad felt when he got his first Video now ;-) ....ok perhaphs I exagerate a bit. Anyway... anyone recommend any useful toys relevant to our hobby?

Is there a way to view acrobat files such as manuals? That would be handy when we go on the continent save carrying shed loads of stuff.

It's running Medion-Navigator 4.2 - Any pointers to idiots guides to help me install POI for LPG forecourts / Dealers would be mucho appreciated. Surfed last night but was swapped with informantion to the point I confused myself.

Any other useful favorite utilities then please let me know.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You can get Adobe PDF reader from

Just select Pocket PC from the Platform list (3rd one down). Seems to work fine for me on my iPaq. Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Martin...I think I love you ;0)... I've now got my 101 manuals on there so I can bemuse the parts people without having to do charades anymore. Result!

I had trouble bunging the files over to the card direct for some unknown reason what ever the sync program is didn't like to do it direct but once I put it in the machines memory then slid it over to the card it was fine.... I can feel a few memory cards comming on now :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Which did you get & how much Lee?

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

I got a Mio as it comes...

a friend has allowed me to try theirs for some time with Medion Navigator on. I've purchased my own software though through E-bay with the europe Disks too for our tours with the Caravan.

It's down side is lack of expansion sockets , but then I purchased on a budget so you get what you pay for. Toys like acrobat reader may just pay for the unit themselves one day as I can now carry all my acrobat manuals on MMC card.

Alot of it's features like calendar etc are for me gimmicks at the moment, fun to fiddle with but the high chance of loosing all your data with PDA battery power and the Mios vulnerable on switch being a high probability then I'll stick to a paper diary for now... though it's very handy when working fine.

I specifically got the unit to use for the car navigation with flexibility to go on foot or use OS maps too. Anything else is a bonus / toy.

Oh and it does do email / squashed internet via the infra red link to my Nokia (the Mio doesn't have bluetooth - least this 168)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Oohhh, foot GPS navigation and OS maps? If so what scale OS maps?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You can get a product called "memory map" that does OS maps to 1:50000 for the whole country, and you can buy add-on maps to go down to

1:25000 or up.

(hope those are the right scales, I mean the 1:50000 is the equivalent of the OS Explorer maps while the 1:25000 is the equivalent of the the landranger maps. Might be a few too many 0's in there.)

You can also send parts of the maps down to a PDA apparently, not tried that though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

You can snatch 1:25000 .png images from the OS site, they are just about ok quality, if you comply with their terms. I tend to download a few and print them on A4 with the waypoints marked and uploaded to my

12xl.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Hi there!

I have a compaq ipaq and use TOM TOM.

I use "checkpoint" which provides a full updated LPG Forecourt & Non- Forecourt overlay. Running low on LPG "Navigate to.... gets me a list (nearest to farthest away). It's brilliant.

Go to

Also has all the speed cameras :-)

Regards,

Dan.

"Lee_D" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Reply to
Danny Clarke

How does the GPS navigation software know where to plot the "You are here" splodge on a .png?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Does it integrate with the GPS navigation software though? Plotting your route both past and projected a You Are Here splodge etc

'Tother way round 1:50,000 is the Landranger series, metric version of the old 1" maps. 1:25,000 is Explorer or old 2 1/2".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For the software I use I first have to re save the image as a .bmp or a .gif. The software that uses the gif uploads to my gps better but that which requires the .bmp has better functions. You then calibrate the map tiles and the program assembles them next to each other. I then mark out my planned walk on the screen and print this. The waypoints I have marked I upload to the gps via the serial port of the pc.

In the car I either pre load a route with the same software or I can use the gps connected to the serial port of an p1 133 laptop loaded with an old copy of personal navigator.

Anquet and memorymap are the favourites for walkers, fugawi and oziexplorer are also mentioned. They all are a lot less fiddly and have "engines" from 3d gaming software with height data from shuttle radar scans, these allow you to "fly through" your walk but I have not tried this.

I am told there is the ability to make your own maps and upload them to the colour screen garmins but again this is too cutting edge for me.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I'm afraid I have no idea as I am one of those heathens who doesn't like the offerings from Mr. Gates and his merry automatons, preferring a Palm Pilot, which doesn't seem to be supported. Even if it was, I only use GPS-based software when in a vehicle, I don't use it when walking around preferring to look at what I'm stepping in.

Yep, I always get them confused.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi Lee, try ebuyer.com for your mmc cards, best prices i've found. And the memory map software is brill for greenlaning etc.

Regards, Roy.

Reply to
LR90