Overdrive on TD5

Drove a Defender TD5 the other day which had an overdrive, with an electronic switch on the top of the gearstick. Anybody know anything about these? It worked a treat.

David

Reply to
David French

All I know is that it's made by GKN, and is called the R Type, or something similar.

Quite fancy one myself.... (but then I would).

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

been thinking about it myself....................

Reply to
Denis F

Based on the one I drove for a short time, I'd highly recommend it. Have no idea of the cost savings but surely it would start paying for itself every time you hit the motorway. Go on, you know it makes sense...

Reply to
David French

But it only costs the same as a whole term's student loan :o(

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

I don't know the price - how much are they?

Reply to
David French

They were over a grand inc vat last time I looked so I opted for a 1.22 ratio transfer box instead.

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

963 inc VAT

Still rather more that the change from the student load beer ration (change - whats that??).

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

How much is the transfer box? And more importantly, how many hours does each job take?

Sarah

(A Lib Dem Local Councillor who's quite comfortable with Green Laning if it's "proper", like wot the people I met whilst out riding a few months back were.)

Reply to
The Hills

I think we're at cross-purposes here - the OD is a bolt on the transfer box for Defenders - probably something like 3 to 4 hours, if you're thinking of fitting it to a Series motor...... well it would not be easy, if possible at all. Series OD's are quite plentiful S/H, just make sure you get *all* the bits! Someone is making new Series ones in the US, but I've no details.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

richard.watson wrote: (snip)

(snip) Rovers Down South in New Orleans -

JD

Reply to
JD

Hang on, I'm confused now! Do the Fairy Overdrives fit TD5 Defenders or only Series? I know the transfer box change works for Defenders, but what about Overdrives?

Regards, Sarah

-- Rocket Launchers Ltd Make your event go with a bang!

mail: 13 Smyth Close, Market Harborough, LE16 7NS UK

Reply to
The Hills

Fairey (and Bearmach) overdrives fit all series motors (except Stage 1 V8). GKN Laycock overdrives fit LT230 Transfer boxes in Defenders (they will fit Disco and RRC, but presumably the bodywork gets in the way, so they are marketed as being for Defender). Fairey also produced an OD for the Range Rover Classic - this will fit 101's and Stage 1 V8's too.

The Rovers Down South ones are said to be clones of the Fairey OD's, if that is correct, then they will only fit series motors.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson