Overhaul costs on diesel parts

I have recently been quoted over £200 for an overhaul on the injector pump. When I enquired about the cost of a new pump instead, I was told that this would be over £1200. That is a lot more than the whole vehicle is worth!

Does this seem reasonable? Does anybody know the cost of reconditioning injectors?

James

Reply to
James

injector pump.

Sounds reasonable to me. Injectors may cost upwards of £25+VAT to test and overhaul. In some cases the injectors will be worse when they come back than when they went in for service :-(

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Sounds damn cheap to me. We (the garage I work in) get charged 250 quid for basic overhaul and recalibration, inc injectors.

Reply to
Adrian England

Thanks guys.

I think the cheapest way to get the injectors done is to exchange them for a reconditioned set. Paddock do this for just under £13 per injector. I can imagine it will cost me more than that to get mine done. I took mine out yesterday - 1 very dirty, 1 very clean and 2 rusty. Only 2 of them appeared to be seated on the crown shaped washers!

Reply to
James

Diesel injection servicing is a rip-off area exploited by many service agents. In London I used to pay £8 for reconditioning an injector and less than £100 for a pump. There's a place up Barnstaple way that charges sensible prices or look in the enthusiast mags for good prices on recon' exchange parts. It's worse in the marine field but there are still service agents around who aren't crooks! Peter

Reply to
Peter

service

For £8 the only thing they do is clean and spray test them and return untouched. Around 80% of diesel components returned for reconditioning have nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Hey, in this thread you touch a nerve here !!! .. ... Having paid OZ$300 for a diesel injector "service" that made no difference ( if it _was_ done!!) ( there were no replacement nozzles, injector parts etc) I was 'insaned' enough to go out and buy a "Bosch" unit for testing myself. I figured if I did the injectors a couple of times it would have easily paid for itself ... and they'd be _right_ !

Well, it's well over twenty years now with no regrets at all. With a little patience and judicial brushing and 'honing' I can get/keep injectors "perfect".... and when they're showing significant erosion I just replace the nozzles in the holders at the worst.

Admittedly, _no_ service centre would/could 'afford' the meticulous attention I give to my own injection 'service', and, other than very occasional 'love jobs' I wouldn't spend the time either ! But, for my _own_ satisfaction of having injectors working as they should ( and all the ramifications that ensue from this!) , I can recommend buying a 'crack-tester' and practising 'do-it-yourself'.

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo