P38 "Alarm Fault"

I keep getting an 'Alarm fault' message on the display on my P38, it appears whenever I insert the key into the ignition. I don't need to turn the key, in fact I don't even need to insert the key fully, literally as soon as the key touches the barrel, the fault displays. It also displays 'key left in ignition' occasionally, even after the key has been fully removed. Also occasionally I get the double beep from the horn, indication a mislock, when trying to double lock the car.

Could these faults be connected, and any ideas what is causing them?

Reply to
SimonJ

My guess would be the sensor that controls the actual alarm. It's a proximity type thing ISTR, so this could be the reason it goes nuts near the lockj etc.

Reply to
Nige

SimonJ> I keep getting an 'Alarm fault' message on the display on SimonJ> my P38, it appears whenever I insert the key into the SimonJ> ignition. I don't need to turn the key, in fact I don't SimonJ> even need to insert the key fully, literally as soon as SimonJ> the key touches the barrel, the fault displays.

Sounds like a fault with the transponder in the key barrel. Not seen it before, but I can't think of anything that would cause it. Does it happen with both keys?

SimonJ> It also SimonJ> displays 'key left in ignition' occasionally, even after SimonJ> the key has been fully removed. Also occasionally I get SimonJ> the double beep from the horn, indication a mislock, when SimonJ> trying to double lock the car.

These certainly related, as you will get a mislock if it thinks the keys are in the ignition. Mine does this when very cold and the ignition barrel doesn't register the key being removed due to the lubricant getting sticky at low temperatures. I guess it needs a re-lube, but I can't get a definitive answer on what to use to clean and relubricate the lock.

HTH

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB