P38 Autobiography 4.6

Found one at a local garage in utterly mint condition. It's a 1996 Autobiography with 92,000 genuine miles with every bill ever etc. The best thing is it had a new engine (guess why!) less than 2000 miles ago. Everything works as it should & it has all the usual stuff etc. The car is in superb condition, but the price is high at £8900. I reckon he'll do a deal at around £7.5k - £8k. As it's from a very well known garage 50 yards from my house I'm tempted to see if the wife is interested.

Would the new engine make much difference to the cost etc?

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

IMO the new engine converts the car from ticking timebomb liability to potentially attractive vehicle. The price you suggest is probably pretty reasonable, especially from a known source.

Just don't kid yourself that it will be cheap to run, that it won't need any work or that it will be reliable. It's still a 9 year old car.

Looking at it another way, when new it would have cost about 2.5 to 3 times the price of a mid-range Mondeo. The depreciation looks pretty good on the Range Rover when you look at the value of a 1996 Mondeo!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

-snip- As it's from a very well known garage 50 yards

Why? You're not suggesting the garage owner's wife might be persuaded to get you a good deal in return for sexual favours?

:-)

Reply to
Danny

The new engine shouldn't make any difference to the price, especially as it is unlikely to have had a complete engine, it may even have had just the block replaced. If it's a British Racing Green one with a pinstripe down the side, be wary, I looked at one a few months ago with a similar mileage and the "new" engine looked like it had been fitted by someone who hadn't a clue what they were doing. They'd even managed to cross thread the oil filler cap. The guy had been trying to sell it for a while and on the road test one of the cats was knocking.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

No, this is a mid green one & is in bloody mint condition.

The underside looks like a new car, not a scrap of anything.

Very nice indeed.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige