P38 diesel - engine vibration at idle / low speed

hi. I'm hoping that some kindly soul can help me with my infuriating problem with my P38 diesel. I have an intermittent problem where the engine vibrates quite badly at or around idle speed. This is when the vehicle is stationary too so it has nothing to do with transmission. I'm not sure that it might even be a misfire? Please help someone!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

I don't know how yours works but is it possible to crack off each injector with a rag over them to identify which one makes it vibrate more the least? I.e. which one may be fecked.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Have you checked the rubber of the engine mounts? Mate had one that did this, actually I can't remember now if it was an engine or gearbox mount.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

theres an archive at

listing common problems with the P38.Derek

Reply to
Derek

I was going to suggest that, and even go so far as to suggest checking that the blasted thing is bolted in, on one of my cars I undid the mounts and re-attached them but didn't use threadlock, and less than two days later the bolts on two of them had vibrated *out* (three per mount) and the engine was rearing up under load and knocking on the engine cover! That was on a smooth-running petrol too.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi,

I will be interested to know if you solve this problem as mine does axactly the same! (1996 P38 DSE)

Regards Martin

Reply to
Martin

OK, Dave - crack one off and let us know how you get on. :-)

Reply to
Rich B

You'll never know how much I wresteled with the origional reply ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

would explain the vibration i suppose............

Reply to
Dave R

... and the state of the ashtrays ...

Reply to
Rich B

well its not fixed, but i feel alot more relaxed about it.....................

Reply to
Dave R