P38 for the wife

The wife has an Audi A4 convertible & whilst it's a decent car, it's not a Land Rover. She loved my old Trooper & I reckon we could get a good P38 Range Rover for decent money. Apart from the engine trouble, any major problems to look out for, or just get a high specced disco?

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

I'd have thought the Disco would give fewer problems and be more affordable in the long run.

I did like my TD5 Disco (Base, upgraded to a spit off ES Spec) from a comfort PoV.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I was thinking of the P38 but went for a Disco ES after reading about the issues with the 4.0 & 4.6 engines due to the ECU running the engine leaner causing heat increases and causing the slipped liner problems ( I got all this off RPI - and after seeing and hearing a mates 5.0 V8 they built for his 110 I think they know their stuff!) I know the 3.9 Disco can suffer the same problem but it's much rarer ( according to RPI - I'm no expert!).They do also say however if you have the P38 engine and it's OK then changing the ECU for a modded unit will stop the problem albeit with a loss of MPG.

I think the ES spec is excellent, feels and drives like a dream.

Reply to
StaffBull

Ditto that! Very happy with ours.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee, is the suspension standard on yours ?

I am looking change to originals ( on it since mid 96) for upgraded ( + 1") I don't think I'll need to worry about the brake lines and stuff then, and I don't want to alter the appearance that much.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

You heartless fiend. (Have you thought of putting this on e-bay?)

Reply to
hugh

Sounds like a damn good swap to me !!!

Reply to
Smurf

Ok, here goes for a list of failure points.

AIR SUSPENSION DROPPING/NOT RAISING QUICK ENOUGH. WINDOW FAULT MESSAGE DOOR FAULT MESSAGE BONNET OPEN MESSAGE AUTOMATIC BOX ECU NOT TALKING TO BODY ECU ALARM FAULTS CENTRAL LOCKING FAILURE COOLANT LEAK AT HEATER MATRIX (2 "o" RINGS, BUT A LOT OF TIME!) MISFIRING DUE TO COIL PACK FAILURE (V8) AIRCON CONTROL FAILURE.

In all honesty, most of the common problems on the P38 can be attributed to moisture getting into various block connectors and causing high-resistance contacts, bad earths etc. Personally, would I buy one? NO WAY! Get a decent Disco and fit normal suspension to it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Really? Can they be fixed easily or is it major wallet surgery?

I really like the P38, but I really would want a diesel.

Oh well, maybe it is a Disco then!

I would look to spend around £10k, might even get a S2 for that.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

SII Discos can suffer the electronic gremlins in a bad way if they get wet - the LR CAN bus system is not very robust!! as a mate of mine found out in his W reg Td5, stayed with it for a year but had enough when the warranty ran out and bought a new one - that's OK so far but it has not leaked -- Yet......!

Reply to
StaffBull

Smurf> Sounds like a damn good swap to me !!!

I'd like to see a photo of his wife before I agree :-)

-- Andy Cunningham --

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. --J. Edgar Hoover

Reply to
AndyC the WB

I actually meant it sounded like a good swap ... FOR HIM, not for anyone else ;o)

Reply to
Smurf

Smurf> I actually meant it sounded like a good swap ... FOR HIM, Smurf> not for anyone Smurf> else ;o)

Yeah, but I've already got the P38A. :-)

The wife wouldn't be too impressed if another one turned up, though.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

No, 2 wives is not a good idea, at least not at the same time.

Reply to
hugh

I'd wager it's much cheaper than having 2 P38 Range Rovers on the go... At the least a wife has to stop at half of everything.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs blithered:

I think you'll find that is half of what's left!

Reply to
GbH

Yeah ours is bog standard ES.... at least until I finish my current list of projects :o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just fitted + 1" on mine and it had 20mm spacers on it so I kept them - so nearly a 2" lift - looks bloody great and handles well too. New tyres now to get an extra bit of height. Now on to the engine!!

Reply to
StaffBull