P38A transfer box ponderings ...

Hi ,

Looks like my viscous coupling is seized. The steering is rather heavy especially when parking. I jacked up a front wheel with the transfer box in neutral ( F11 under the seat ) and was unable to turn the wheel at all ( or the propshaft with a bar stuck through the UJ ).

What has me totally baffled though is if I jack up both a front and a rear wheel on the same side I am still unable to turn the propshaft ( yes the handbrake is off ! ).

The transfer box shifts OK from low to high so I know the selector forks move OK. The display says "transfer neutral" with Fuse 11 in the box. So I can't figure out what is stopping the propshaft from turning.

Internally there's only a diff and the VC connected to the front and rear propshafts and they should all rotate together. The chain from the diff drives the gear on the input shaft which is not engaged with anything.

Or have I missed something ? Does the box drop out of neutral when the ignition is switched off maybe ?

thanks ..

Reply to
Wafty

Just to add to the collective knowledge of the newsgroup ....

Make sure yer transfer box really is in neutral BEFORE you buy a new VC

.. mine wasn't

Reply to
Wafty