Painting with a roller.

I keep looking at the paint stand at various land rover shows and the guy who sells the tins of paint lives not far from me, so I'm thinking of having a go. Has anyone tried painting with a roller and if so, how successful was it? Also can someone remind me whter it's Tekaloid on top of Cellulose which causes orange peel, or the other way round. Cheers, John

Reply to
John Stokes

I've painted my ex-mil with a roller and the result was better than the "original" finish. I've also painted bits with a brush, and it looks worse than the squaddies did.

Although my first roller melted - which serves my eight for paying 99p for it at Poundstretcher ...

Reply to
QrizB

I repainted my 1984 90 with a brush. From across the road it looks OK, not so good close up. Then I read about someone repainting their Land Rover with a mini-roller, so I started work on the seat box. Disaster! The roller gummed up within minutes and left a bad orange peel finish. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I gave up anyway. The seat box still looks a mess.

My suggestion is to get some old panels to practice and experiment with first.

Cheers, RB.

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

Hmm. I am worried about that, I havn't started painting yet, but I don't know wether the roller is going to stand up to it. What was different between your two?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Well, they were both "foam" rollers intended for gloss paint. They both looked roughly the same before I started, although first one was essentially unbranded and came with a frame and a paint tray for 99p, while the replacement was a high-quality B&Q own brand product at £2.48 for two refills. These were all "mini rollers" (the 100mm ones).

Although, looking at

I see B&Q'll do you a kit with a frame, tray and two roillers (one foam, one fluffy for emulsion) for £2.28, which might be the way to go if you're starting from scratch.

Reply to
QrizB

Well I did Grumble a few years ago, in the street, with a 4" gloss roller. I reckon it's aged pretty well and the finish is more than acceptable for my needs.

Reply to
Mother

eh?

I get mine from a local paint factor. I got 10 for about 8 quid and have only used two. I should also admit to using the B&Q ones, and they wear equally as well. One tip, if you're going to put the second coat on the following day is to wrap the roller in cling-film, or even an old carrier bag. DO NOT soak them in thinners!

Reply to
Mother

I used a gloss roller on mine and it took a few practices to get it right,

I found initially the paint was too thick and gummed up the roller and stopped it from rolling - it just dragged. Thinned the paint down with approx 25% thinners and used as little paint as possible on the roller and went from there. took about 3-4 thin coats to get good coverage and there was no orange peel effect or lines etc. looked bloody lovely, even used it as my wedding car! (see

- except that after 9 months the paint has started to oxidise badlyand fade - but that is more to do with me using an epoxy garage floorpaint rather than a proper silk/gloss.But one advantage with the paint i used - its very very strong, shameit now looks faded..... Nick C S2a `67 (2.5nad) wakefield UK

Reply to
Nick C

I used a machine enamel with lots of added matting agent. Seems to be fine.

A little reminder, for those who may have forgotten, that Stephen Hull has an excellent site dedicated to painting pointers :-)

Mother

Well worth a look at. Bruce resprayed the tank on his motorbike after reading it and was very pleased with the results,

Reply to
Nikki

I did my 2A with a gloss roller, using paddocks synthetic paint. I also undercoated 2coats first as I was going from Red to Pastel green. Looks great from a distance, a little matt when close up and slightly orangepeely - not too bothered, wouldn't want it _really_ shiney!

I could have done much better fluffy mini-rollers rather than the foamy ones, I'll sand it and redo it somewhen, but it'll do me nicely for now

Reply to
Spozza

Ahh yes indeed and I am still around, Cheers Mother ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull
[snip]

Did he stove the tank in the household oven like I did? ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I have just rollered my 88" black with a mini gloss roller and the result is superb, just used a can of spray for the difficult areas.

Rog

Reply to
Rog

whats the url for the zebra striped landy site

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

John Stokes

Don't know actually. Is it better?

Reply to
Nikki
[snip]

Yes, You'd get a much harder finish if the tank was stoved and more importantly it would be totally impervious from petrol spillage ;)

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

At what stage do you do this then? He's not put it back on yet.

Reply to
Nikki
[snip]

You can stove paint anytime after "flash off" this is the period when the solvent has evaporated leaving the panel safer to stove and also eliminates the chances of solvent boil.

I simply pre-heated the oven for half an hour and then turned the gas off before I put the tank in and left it in for about an hour.

In your case you can put it in the oven at any time. ;)

The problem is getting your fuel tank to fit in a domestic oven.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull