Parts and Advice for S2A Gearbox Overhaul

The gearbox on my S2A requires some attention. The front mainshaft bearing is toast, while the box is out, I may as well overhaul the box. Some questions:

1) Please recommend a supplier of quality spares for Series Landies, especially gearbox parts. 2) Are the spares available in kit form? 3) Any pitfalls to doing a DIY job in a modestly kitted garage?

Regards, Sean (South Africa)

Reply to
Landynut

Which gearbox is it? The early Suffix A & B boxes had smaller diameter layshaft front bearings, and the transfer boxes had smaller diamater intermediate shafts. The gear ratios are also different! These are all prone to failure, and the boxes are best avoided anyway.

As for doing it in your garage, the only problem is getting bearings in and out of the cases, this can sometimes necessitate a press. Also, you will need shims for the gearbox to get the tolerances right, and there is no way to know which ones you need untill you do it. Thus you will need to get a selection in, some of which you won't need. As for a kit of parts, I don't know of anyone who does one, as a complete kit for overhaul would require a complete set of workings, the only bit you wouldn't need is a case! Better to get yours apart and see what bits need replacing first.

The Landrover Workshop manual (not the Haynes one) does give very comprehensive step-by-step instructions into stripping and rebuilding the gearboxes.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Lee_D

If you mean genuine parts by quality spares I can probably supply all or most of the bits you need.

I wouldn't think anyone supplies all the parts you need as a kit because it's not possible to say which parts are required until you take a look, if it's that bad you'd be better off with another box. Are you sure it's the front mainshaft bearing that's gone? That is just a small bearing between the input or first motion shaft and the mainshaft. Probably the input shaft bearing that you need which is quite a substantial bearing and doesn't often give trouble.

At the very least you will need (and I do mean need) 576724 front cover gasket, 622045 bell housing gasket, 2974 layshaft split pin, 528701 layshaft front bearing, 55714 input shaft bearing, 3 x RTC1956 3rd/4th gear synchro detent springs, 511189 1st gear layshaft (depending on age of box), 236305 mainshaft rear oil seal (between main and transfer), and a 6397 front mainshaft bearing ( to replace the old steel caged one). If either the front layshaft bearing or the input shaft bearings have given up you may also need a pair of constant mesh gears, (which consist of the input shaft and the front gear on the layshaft), as the teeth on either may be damaged.

As for the rest of the main box you may also need a centre mainshaft bearing, 2nd and 3rd mainshaft gear bushes and locking ring, rear layshaft bearing and mainshaft rear lockwasher, but I doubt it.

Not really, it's quite an easy box to work on and you will manage with no special tools, not even a press, the only thing to watch for is the correct endfloats on the mainshaft bushes and gears. If you need to replace the reverse idler gear then you will have to split the main and transfer cases but still no big deal.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thank you,

(breathing a sigh of relief) The gearbox in question is 25210283 C I have 2 manuals: Haynes and one published by Brookland Books, which has a fairly good description.

Regards, Sean

Reply to
Landynut

Thanks Martin

The reason that I removed the box was that we got mud in the bell housing during a play session, deceieved by a blinding flash of inspiration, I used a garden hose to clean it out. Muddy water ended up in the gearbox prompting the surgery.

I drained the contents of the box and found about 100ml water got in. I then flushed the box twice with parafin to get the dirt out.

With the top removed, I played with the selectors to see how everything works. All gears fuctioned as predicted, but in neutral there was a ticking noise. BTW, the vehicle has always (since 2000) made a wirring sound when in neutral, the clutch depressed. Because the water came through the clutch withdrawal mechanism, I decided it needed closer inspection. A few drops of water came out and all the bits from the bearing cage (the big bearing on the main shaft) yet the balls were all still located between the races. My impression is that the box is still OK, with possible water damage to little springs, etc. I should get away with just changing the bearing.

Do you have a kit similar to the one at

Whereabout are you located? my wife is travelling to the UK in March (Derbyshire and Surrey)

Regards, Sean

Reply to
Landynut

The Land Rover manual for the Series III is here:

... much of the gearbox is common with the IIA. Between the three manuals you should be well placed to tackle a rebuild. As Martin says, it's not a bad box to work on.

I've also got a file made from a section of the IIA manual with nice exploded and sectional views. I'll e-mail you a copy - assuming that your e-mail address is valid.

Reply to
Dougal

"Landynut" wrote................

Do you have a kit similar to the one at

I've not come across LEGS before but looking at their site it seems they know their stuff. The kit shown on the website is for a Series 3 and doesn't have some of the parts you need and has some you don't need. I think the 'whirring' noise you mention sounds like the clutch withdrawal or thrust bearing which is external and is not in that kit, yours is inside the small front cover in front of the bellhousing and is a STC1130 (Landrover no.) or

6207 if you go to a bearing supplier. You will also need that 511189 first gear (14 teeth) as extras to this kit. most of the kit will contain everything else you need ( except for the above) and some you don't need, but it will suit your purpose. I suggest you ask them to supplement the kit with the bearing and gear and tell them to take out the 1st/2nd synchro (baulk) rings which you won't need. If you have removed the front cover and the cage bits are from the bearing on the input (primary) shaft then that bearing is already included in the kit. You need to remove the bellhousing as well and examine the internals closely in case you need anything else. You may also need a 239272 split ring as the box is Suffix C, this secures the second gear on the layshaft and could be worn or damaged.

Whereabout are you located? my wife is travelling to the UK in March (Derbyshire and Surrey)

I'm not far from Derbyshire and about 12 miles east of Manchester and I should be able to supply you with all of these parts except for maybe the odd gasket which you can make anyway. Try your luck with LEGS and get in touch if you can't get fixed up as I only have genuine parts and they may add up to quite a bit more than the kit.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Which reminds me, I must get around to scanning my IIa workshop manual, and also the late IIa parts catalogue I have. The IIa parts cat on landrover.ee is 58-61, and does not cover a lot of the later revisions.

Alex

Reply to
Alex