PAS Box Defender - 3 or 4 bolt

Anybody know if the 3 and 4 bolt Defender PAS boxes are interchangable? Got a 1989 2.5TDi 110 which needs new box and pump, not keen to shell out £300 for a pair........

TIA

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Pipe fittings are different threads.

Why buy a pair, look at yours and see if it's a 3 or a 4 and then get the same.........??

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I've still got a pump and steering box assembly which I picked up when a chap went abroad, tell me how to identify it and I'll have a look.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Wot 'e sez, and if you change it then you'll need pipes as well. I don't know about the six bolt one which is fitted to some Defenders, which also seems to give more trouble than the others.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Well, that's confused matters. I wasn't aware there was a 6-bolt version. However, I've just checked the vehicle and it does indeed have 6 bolts holding the top cover on.

So now what? Are the pumps different for the different boxes as well?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I think they are all interchangeable as far as the mountings go. I don't know which pipes go with the 6 bolt one but they might be the same as the four bolt, someone will be along who is more knowledgeable.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They are intercangeable with the exception of the pitman arm.

The pitman arm does "feel" like it will fit however there is a slight movement that in time will cause the splines to wear and it will fail.

So keep the pitman and make a new mounting for the steering damper.

Reply to
Geoff